Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralfsmom

trading tree peony seeds

ralfsmom
15 years ago

is there anyone wanting to trade? my tree P. are ripe. i have a beautiful semi dbl 2 tone pink and what i think is a rochii hyb. it has the dark bloches in the centers of the petals and is a light pink and 1 is a white. dj

Comments (8)

• daveinohio_2007
    15 years ago

Count me in, especially for the possible rock hybrid seeds.
    My seed pods probably will open about Sep 1; some are self-pollinated and some are cross pollinated from a double pink and a semi-double wine red; quantity available unknown.
    dave

• daveinohio_2007
    15 years ago

Most of my tp seeds have been collected into damp peat; total number will be about 100, part of which will be available for trade if anyone is interested.

• rian
    15 years ago

I had hoped to do some trading this year but we had to be away and of course I missed my chance to gather the seeds. Perhaps they planted themselves but I'm not really counting on it. Maybe next year.....

• daveinohio_2007
    15 years ago

Rian,
    If you want to grow some seeds this year, I would be happy to send you a batch of maybe 20. The % germination last year was pretty poor, like 25%, which may or may not improve this year.
    dave

• digdiva
    15 years ago

I have 2007 harvest yellow tree peony seeds that will be root sprouting soon if anybody wants to trade for those. Would love other varieties. Mine are Paeonia Ludlowii var Lutea, the largest tree peony with pretty single petaled yellow flowers. Very easy to grow!

• rian
    15 years ago

Dave thank you, but you should go ahead and trade your seeds this year for as many different kinds as you can get.

I should have some of the rockii seeds you want next year and we can trade then. I have 4 rockiis (only 1 large enough to bloom--they seem to need to be larger before they bloom than my suffruticosas.) The leaves of all the rockiis look different than the leaves of my other tree peonies, but the ones I bought from Lithuania have smaller leaves than the older ones so seem to be a different strain

• peonyman
    15 years ago

Rian,

The typical leafage for P. rockii is considerable smaller than for suffructicosas. The leaves have less palmation and the petiole for the leaflets within the complex leaves seems to be longer in respect to the leaves. They almost appear to have much stem for the leaves the plant has to work with.

I also have the semi-double form of Joseph Rock. The leaves on that plant appear to be more similar to suffructicosa.

The plants I have came from China and I got them through the HPS. It is surprising how different the plants are from each other in growth habit. Some appear to plan to be tall upright plants while others want to spread out. I have two of the taller type and I am trying my best to train them into a single trunk tree like some of the photos I have seen of P. rockii growing in the wild. Those plants were up toward 15 feet tall and take on something more of the look/form of our redbud trees.

Rockii peonies have an interesting range of flower color. One of mine is a really nice lavender. In the wild the most prevalent colors seem to be in the light to midrange pink.

How big were the rockii plants that you got from Gintas?

Leon,

• rian
    15 years ago

Leon, they were tiny--6-inch tall pencil thin stems as best I can remember, but they were very healthy and they were so reasonably priced. I don't mind waiting for them to bloom. My garden is always in progress anyway.