Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to move peonies?

Posted by little_dani 9, S. Tex Coast (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 22:52

My cousin asks me,

"I have some peonies that were here when I moved here 13 yrs ago. How and when do I dig them up and divide them???? I would like to separate them and plant some elsewhere."

She lives about 65 miles north of Amarillo, Texas, and they have long hard winters up there. I live down on the Texas Coast, almost to Corpus Christi, and have not a chance of growing a peony.

However, I am the only cousin she has who is a Master Gardener, and I hate to admit ignorance. So, I am begging for information here, so I can share it with her. That would be two birdbrains with one stone that you could educate. I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks!

Janie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to move peonies?

I don't know what you mean by "long hard winter"? If the ground does not freeze, you can dig, separate and replant anytime during the winter. It would be a good idea to prepare the new location by digging in finished compost to the area down to about 2 feet. In your location it sounds like winter chilling may be a problem and could prevent the peonies from blooming. When planting notice the buds which will be next years flower stems, and be sure that you do not bury them. In marginal chill areas you need to depend on air temperature to chill the buds as the soil,if it covers them, acts as an insulator. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here