Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikatoo

too late to transplant peonies

tikatoo
12 years ago

Am trying to redo my garden. Hot here but decided I needed to move a peony. It's not doing well. I separated it into 2 pieces and put it to decent soil and have watered continually but it looks like it is not going to make it. I know the time wasn't optimal but is there any hope of saving it? The whole garden is a mess and I have other peony's that need to be repositioned - the hemlocks are taking over - which is good. Any advice on how to keep them going?

Comments (9)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

You give no hint of your location, but most of the country is hot and dry and I would not move a peony unless I had no choice. You don't give enough details of HOW you moved and divided your peony to guess your chances of success. If your divisions were big enough, and your plant was not diseased when moved, you may get new growth in the spring even if the plant seems to be dying now. Al

• maifleur01
    12 years ago

Now is the time that growers start digging so you can go ahead and move. One hint is to allow the cut area to air dry before planting. Doing this will lessen chances of rot. You may not see any growth until next spring.

I would back off on the watering.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Ditto above.

Ginny certified peony addict Canadian zone 3

• tikatoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are in upstate NY - thanks for the tips! Now we get rain! But it's welcome and hope not too much for the peony.

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

I have several peonies to be moved this year. DH built a deer fence, and I'd like to move the peonies OUT of this area so I have more room for lilies etc. I am going to put several peonies on the perimeter of the fence.

I was very interested to read that growers start digging up their peonies about now. If I dig them up and let the tubers dry out a bit, I expect the foliage will dry up too and die off. Is that indeed what I should expect?

It does suddenly seem cool and more fall like. I have so much rearranging to do, I'd love to get a jump start on the peonies--I had been planing to wait until next month, but the new spots are ready. WOuld be great if I could get the peonies in and the area mulched before too many weeds start to grow.

We are in SE Iowa.

• maifleur01
    12 years ago

There is less stress on the plants if you remove the leaves when digging at this time. If you cut the leaves off the plants should send their energy into making hair roots rather than leaves. If you leave the leaf's on the plants will try to provide nurishment from the existing roots for the leaves rather than establishing themselves.

I will not comment on tree peonies other than the buds for next year are already established so it makes no difference to remove leave's or leave.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

For those of us in the west,our peonies do not start to yellow the foliage until November, and all the summer months the foliage is feeding the roots for next years flower stems. Even though peonies have ample reserves stored in their roots, I do not like to give up a years nourishment. Al

• casi
    12 years ago

I am located just North of K.C. on the Iowa line. I transplanted a couple of small pieces of peony in the Spring. They did not bloom. I was thinking that I should dig them up and make sure I didn't plant them too deep. How should I know how deep they should be or should I just leave them be, maybe it was too early to expect anything.

• maifleur01
    12 years ago

Casi, peonies require patience. They may or may not bloom next year since you state they were small when planted. Did leaves appear? If they did good. If not you may want to carefully brush some of the surface dirt away from where you planted.

Of course you could plan on a day trip to KC on October 1. The HPS sale will be held at Metcalf South Shopping center, Metcalf and 95th on the first starting at 10 in the morning. I helped dig yesterday and packed those today. Will be packing if normal until the last minute. This year there are many intersectionals in either field grown divisions or from a grower in Canada which will be in small pots.

Always a good shopping trip. Expecting several species, osti, teni, and several others including a glaucinium, sp, Japanese Wood Poppy, which is supposedly somewhat difficult to grow but mine is about two feet across and I do nothing including most years removing the surrounding weeds. I have a feeling that the weeds may provide shade and moisture that it likes.

For members there is a potluck and special auction the evening before. Some are very rare or very new.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor