Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Peony Planting Shock

Posted by gabnxe z5 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 23:36

Hi. My first post here, as I found out about tree peonies will passing through a few months ago.

I purchased a SHIMADAIJIN that was in a gallon pot. The nurseryman said it had bloomed this year. I kept it in the pot about 1 month, and collected a HIGH NOON along the way. So, after about 2 more weeks, I planted both, in the same bed. The Shimadaijin's foliage turned brown & crispy overnight! The High Noon is looking OK. What could be the problem?

Thanks for any help.

gabnxe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Peony Planting Shock

Well, I can't help, because I am also in Zone 5, near Chicago, and having a very similiar crispy brown edge problem.

I bought a Yagumo in June, also in a 1 gallon pot. I had it in the back yard in the pot, thinking I would plant in in partial shade, which is what the tag on it says to do. The nurseryman advised to put it in full sun to get the best blooms. So I put it in the front yard and amended the soil with lots of compost. I watered diligently, knowing that the root system would be essential.

Well, it has been hot, but the other plants around it, the sunlovers - salvia and coneflowers, are doing great.

So, are we to think that perhaps it should have a little less sun? The only thing the nurseryman told me when I called him about the brown edges, is that I should add some mulch (2 -3 inches) to keep the moisture in. He also recommended to only water it at the bottom, not to let the sprinkler or the hose get the leaves wet.

So I know I am not much help, but what do you think?
Anyone with any recommendations?

o
RE: 2nd follow up

I went back to the Peony Forum and found a previous thread on tree peony planting shock. Lots of good information there - especially about the part shade/ full sun concern. Since my plant is still showing new growth, and many leaves are turning brown around the edges, I think everything is going to be okay.

Take a look at the previous thread - all particpants in zone 4- -5-6.

o
RE: Tree Peony Planting Shock

Planting in the heat of summer is a shock as the plant tries to extend feeder roots into native soil and supply as much moisture as is being transpired through the foliage due to a suddenly hot sun. Transplanting is always less stressful if done in the spring or fall. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here