Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long will peony sprout from seed?

Posted by rainbow_catz none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 2:27

I bought peony seeds and the seller said that it will sprout in about 29 days,
But when I read posts in this web I'm shocked that peonies will need 3 seasons to sprout, and on the 3rd year it will have flowers. Does it take so long?
What is actually the right time for peony to sprout?
And is there a way to make everything quicker?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long will peony sprout from seed?

I've not tried peonies from seed yet but plan to this year. The method I'm going to use is to put the seed in moist vermiculite in the fridge to see what germinates, then move those to small pots. I'll put the small pots in the ground in a new raised bed created last spring. If everything goes well I think there should be some visible growth next spring, maybe even later.

Everything I've read indicated that it would be a minimum of 3 years before they're blooming size. There have been many strings here in the past about growing from seed, if you're unsure I'd suggest you do a search for growing peonies from seed to get info from those on the forum who've done it before. Good luck with your seed!

o

• Posted by peonyman Zone 5, Lawrence, Ks (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 8:00

If seed are fresh they will sprout the next spring after planting in the fall. I generally plant seeds in the ground outside. I have much better luck that way than when I try to carry them through the winter in a pot. They need a warm period after planting for the initial germination to occur, next they have to have a cold period then they send up a leaf in the spring. If the seeds are not fresh they will come up the second spring. I have never had a seedling to bloom before it is 5 years old. Patience is the key.

o

I searched that the way to make the seed sprout fast is by scarifying its hard coat with sandpaper, so I tried,,,,and days went by,, and now one of my peony seed has white spots on it. Is that fungus??? will it rot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here