Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone receive their ordered peonies yet?

Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 7:50

I just wonder if anyone receive the peonies they ordered and whether they are happy with the plants they receive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone receive their ordered peonies yet?

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 20:41

I just received my peonies from Gilbert Wild today. They are decent size for the price. Krinkled White and Nova are the largest roots and have the most eyes- more than 5 eyes. The other, Minnie Shaylor and Mother's Choice are much smaller and have only 3 eyes.

o

Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 20:42

Here is Nova up close.

o

OOH, I ordered Nova with a bunch of others from GW, hasn't come in yet but hopefully soon! Think I'll check their site for a shipment date. I got my order from Hollingsworth and Klehm's Song Sparrow, as well as Edelweiss Perennials. The Hollingsworth and Klehm's looked about the same, most had 3-4 eyes. The things I ordered from Edelweiss were much smaller and in 4" pots but I paid such a small price for fernleafs, certainly can't complain, especially when the size is advertised with the plant! I'm still waiting on GW, Adelmans, Pure Peonies and a couple of others I can't think of right now. I ordered several yellows this year--didn't think I'd like them but changed my mind when my Strawberry Blonde bloomed this spring, started a pinky-peachy color and ended up yellow, really pretty. So far, I've gotten Age of Victoria, Avalon, Blonde Vision, Bric a Brac, Cameo Lullaby, Cherry Ruffles, Chiffon Clouds, Coral Fay, Coral Scout, Doreen, Duchess de Orleans, Elizabeth Foster, Eventide, Henry Bockstoce, Hermione, Jean Cowley, La Perle, Lemonade Fringes, Lord Calvin, Moon Fritters, Nosegay, Paeonia Anomola, Paeonia Delavayi red-black, Paeonia Putea vr. Ludlowii, Paeonia Mlokosewitschii, Paeonia Obovata var. Willmottiae, Paeonia Tenuifolia (single red), Pal, Peppermint Twist, Pink Swan, Prairie Charm, Quilt Show, Rooster Reveille, Roselette, Roy Pehrson's Best Yellow, Salmon Jazz, Serene Pastel, Silly Sally, Snow Swan, Skylard, Summer Glow, Sunny Day and Vanilla Raspberry Swirl.

o

Wow, you have gotten a nice collection there, Liz. And you probably have a lot of soil prep and planting to do. Hope you have some help. Good luck and let us see their pictures next year. Karen

o

Thanks, Karen. I did most of the prep during the spring/summer, created a huge new raised bed for them. I'm just glad they don't all come in at the same time! Still waiting for around 60.

Very interested in hearing how your Rockii trees do, too, and seeing some pictures when they start growing and especially flowering! And I didn't get Petite Elegance, still looking forward to a trade later!

o

I hope these tree peonies will give me flowers next year. Don't buy the petite elegance. As soon as I have enough to divide, I will send you a root. I am hopeful that next fall is good. I am giving it all kind of fertilizer to help it grow faster. :) Karen

o

I just got a UPS notification for my GILBERT H WILD & SON INC. I'm very excited even though i only ordered 2. I'm not sure if have enough patience for bareroot. I rather spend more and get the actual plants.

o

That's the beauty of bareroot, though, Joopster! You plant it in the fall and they just take off in the spring! Depending on what varieties you got they'll probably bloom 1st year, too. I got a bunch from Gilbert Wild, all of my corals from them bloomed 1st year, so did Mother's Choice (beautiful, full white, you're going to love it, Karen!) Some of the Saunder's peonies didn't but I think I have them in too damp of a spot--I'm going to move them this fall to see it that helps. Beauty of this forum--so much good advice!

Karen, sounds great to me, we'll have to do a trade! I'm slowly getting my peonies tagged, still have a few NOIDs but the balance is shifting...Keep an eye out for pics of my blooms next spring and let me know if anything looks good to you, too! I certainly noticed the Petite Elegance when you posted it!

o

Liz, bareroot is a go for peony that I can't find in my local garden centers. However, right now a lot of the local garden centers are marking down their peony plants anywhere from $2 to $10. Music to my ears :-)

o

I also ordered 3 Sorbet peony from Michigan Bulbs but they're not shipping it until October 22. I hope my ground doesn't freeze by then.

o

Nice, Joopster! Can't find that here anymore. I actually bought my very first peonies here in Colorado from a KMart end of season clearance sale 17 years ago. I got 4 Martha Stewart brand, can't remember the varieties but they were only 50 cents each. I haunted that store's end of season garden sales until it closed down around 10-12 years ago.
I'll never understand why our local nurseries don't carry a larger variety of peonies since they typically grow so well here. I actually asked one owner here in Elizabeth if they'd have any single peonies, she didn't even know what I was talking about! If I thought I could function in a service industry and had the education and drive that's the niche I'd fill in CO!! How can anyone here not absolutely love perennials that tolerate our dry climate and crazy late freezes and the deer don't view as a buffet? I'll never understand it. Enough ranting about the lack of peony growers/sellers, at least I have online!!

I think the Sorbet is good down to zone 3, can you plant them in a very large pot in a sunny but sheltered position if your ground is frozen? We're zone 5 also but typically have a slow, warm fall and then get dumped on and frozen mid-November. I'm actually trying some NOIDs I divided this year in a huge clay pot, probably at least 30 gallons, to see how they'll overwinter. I divided some Itoh roots I got this spring per advice from Calistoga, they made it through some crazy -10 to -20 degree weather in 3 gallon pots. He suggested covering the pots with a tarp if the weather was expected to get really bad but I just left them on the edge of a covered porch. Hopefully your order will come in before any hard freezes so you won't have to bother with an alternative to planting in the ground!

o

Just got emails that my orders from Adelman's, Gilbert Wild and Keeping it Green are on the way, more peony planting this weekend! Can hardly wait!!

This post was edited by LizinElizabeth on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 20:22

o

Joopster, I also bought some Sorbet peonies from Costco this spring. I hope to have some flowers next year. Hope the roots from Michigan Bulb are nice for you. Is there a reason that you bought 3 plants?

Liz, that is awesome. Please let us know how the bareroots turn out from these sources. I hope they are as good as you expected or better. Hope we all will have wonderful blooms next year. Karen

o

Liz, I might plant them in the pot. I have some 20 gal and 30 gal pots that I can use. I might put it in my attached garage for the winter. Chicago winter is a little bit unpredictable. Putting stuff in the garage used to work at my mom's house since the back side of her garage is all glass. My new house, on the other hand, only have 1 window. So cross my fingers.

Kousa, I ordered 3 because they are so beautiful. Plus this is my first time planting bareroot. I didn't have any luck with those dry root from Home Depot of Lowe's.. I want to make sure that at least 1 make it...LOL I'm such a rookie. They were only $6 each and I got $20 off for a $40 order so I didn't mind.

This post was edited by Joopster on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 11:20

o

I read on one of the grower's sites that you should soak bareroot peonies for an hour or so before planting them to rehydrate them. I'll try to remember to do so in the future!

Joopster, if they don't grow Michigan Bulb will replace them as long as you still have your order number so very little risk there.

I received my order from A and D Nursery today, didn't even know it was on the way! Got Blushing Princess, Coral Magic, Sunny Girl and Joker and they sent Lotus Bloom as a bonus plant. They all look healthy and have 4-5 eyes each. The only weird thing was that Joker's eyes were higher than normal, 1/2 to 1 inch up the stems instead of right on the roots. I haven't seen that before on a herbaceous peony, do you guys know if that is normal??

o

For Joker it can be. A lot depends on how it was growing in the fields.

Peonies really need cool temps to become established in the soil. At the right time white feeder roots will develop anchoring the plant in the soil. A large pot in an unheated garage is ok but if the garage is warm such as one with many windows the peony can start growing tops using the mother root for food rather than sending out it's own roots.

o

I will mostly likely grow my in a pot. The soil in Chicago are mostly clay. We only have 2 ft of good soil and after that is all clay. My husband have to dig almost 3 ft deep and 3 ft wide just to plant Bernharth plant for me. Also, i would like to rotate peony and hydrangea in my front lawn. As soon as peony blooming season stop, i'm going to rotate it with hydrangea.

o

Karen, I got my GW order yesterday!! Already have them in the ground since this weekend is going to be a crazy "taxi the not quite old enough to drive teen around" weekend!! I took pics of all of the roots, they all looked good. I got 2 Novas, was on a big yellow peony kick this season. One looked about as nice as yours did, the other was smaller with only 3 eyes. I'll try to find time to get them on my computer and posted here. Sure hope we have blooms from them next spring from some of these newly planted roots!!!

o

Here's the first of the Gilbert Wild shipment, one of the Nova's. Put the same 8" plastic spike by each to show the size.

o

2nd Nova

o

Solange

o

Kathryn Fonteyn

o

Minuet

o

Minnie Shaylor

o

Candy Heart

o

Glowing Candles

o

Coral Sunset--have this one but liked it so much I wanted a 2nd. And at the prices GW had.....

o

Avalanche

o

James Pillow

o

Imaculee

o

Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 10:05

They look really nice and fresh, Liz. You just cant beat GW for prices. I hope they are all correctly named and labeled. Nothing is more frustrating than learning after 2-3 years the plant that you ordered turns out to be something else . Other than that, I just hope you and I have good peony weather and have a lot of blooms to look forward to next year. BTW, yesterday I was at a plant sale, and for some reason I found myself ending up with two more peonies, a Joker peony and a unnamed Jap tree peony. I saw their pictures and I just could not help myself. I saw that you ordered Joker peony. Well, we can definitely compare pictures next year. Happy Planting! Karen

o

Great looking plants Liz, I hope I'll be seeing lots of photos next spring from everyone's new plants! I started to order from GW this year, but things got hectic & I decided not to. Got some wonderful new peonies this year though, so I'm happy.
The only peonies I ever see are at the box stores, always seems to be the same 3. One place does have potted peonies, but they only have "pink" "red", or "white". About 4 years ago I did hit the jackpot though, I found about 8 different ones. I know everyone complains about the box stores, but I guess I've generally been fortunate. Only one was wrong out of the 8, supposed to have been Sorbet & turned out to be, Edulis Superba which I already had. That was ok, because I LOVE those huge blooms. They seem to not flop too badly either, especially considering the size of the blooms.

o

Yeah, GW has a rep for mis-labeling. I'm putting labels on everything as I plant this year; I'll be letting them know if they're wrong!! I think I've actually made out pretty well from some of their mistakes, though--I'm pretty sure one of my favorite NOIDs was from them and I've never seen another with the same bloom. Sometimes oops aren't bad at all!!

Karen, I really fell for Joker when I saw it, had to have it this year. Hopefully we'll both be showing off pictures of our blooms next spring!

Nancy, my lucky shopping place used to be Kmart! The one in Parker, CO always put their perennials on clearance in July/August and I bought some really pretty peonies there; most stayed with our last house, though. That Kmart closed down over 10 years ago, unfortunately! Our big box stores typically only carry the same ones year after year. Very pretty but I want different!

o

So this is my first time planting bareroots with eyes. My husband said to plant it eyes pointing up an inch from the surface. However, When I do that I have this awkward root (or i think it is) sticking out by 2 inches. It's not a stem, it's too thick to be the stem.

o

Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 11:44

Joopster, sometimes you may have to plant the root sideway or slanted so that the root part would be under the soil but the eyes will point up. I think it is best to plant the eyes at soil level and mound an inch of soil over the eyes, then put a layer of mulch over the mound. In the spring when you see pips showing through the soil, remove the mulch. At this time, the soil will settle, and the plants will probably sink below the soil line. This will prevent the plants from settling too deeply. As you see Liz's pictures above, most of the roots are on their sideand you should plant them on their side and a little slanted so that the eyes are up and the roots are down. Hope this helps you. Karen

o

Yeah, what kousa said!! I sometimes have to wash the roots off and hold them in different positions to determine which way is up with the roots! Some of the feeder roots go parallel, some vertical, but plant so most of the eyes are an inch or less below soil level. I like your suggestion of putting them at ground level then mounding over them, Karen. I'll do that with the next set that comes in, they always seem to sink otherwise.

o

Yeah, the one with no eyes is a little hard to tell. There's not stem to help me out either. This is harder than I thought... LOL

o

Is there a flatter side or is it slightly cupped in one direction, Joopster?

o

There's a flatter side. I think i figured them both out. The one that have no eyes, finally show some sign of eyes after spending 3 cold night in a soil. I'm glad I dug it out to double check because I planted up side down originally..LOL

o

Nice catch, Joopster!

Is the flatter side the one with eyes then? Some of the roots I received are flattened in areas, but I think it was a consequence of being grown in a pot.

Well, here are some of the peony roots I received. The following are Canadian companies.

La Pivoinerie D'Aoust. Healthy roots, some of a generous size, plus an extra.

This post was edited by pwin on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 14:01

o

• Posted by pwin 8a (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 13:45

Les Jardins Osiris herbaceous root - grown in pots.

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 13:47

Les Jardins Osiris itoh. Mature specimen.

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 13:50

Les Jardins Osiris young itoh. Super nice little root. I'm sorry for the blurry pic.

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 14:00

The Osiris 2 yr grafted tree peonies are lovely, too, but the pics aren't uploading correctly. I'll skip to Boreal Farms and one of their herbaceous roots. I sprayed this one with water to display the numerous eyes. They were all large, healthy roots.

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 16:06

Those roots look awesome! I bet they will definitely give you some flowers next year, pwin. That herbaceous root from Boreal Farms is enormous. I have never seen one that big. you can just divide it into multiple plants. For the Bartzella, I would suggest that you split that root in two plants where you see some of the growths separate. By doing that you will help the plant grows better because the roots appear enormous and somewhat tangled. You won't hurt it.

This post was edited by kousa on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 16:51

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 17:08

Hi Kousa,
Yes, I'm happy. I would order from all of the companies again. I didn't upload a tree peony pic. It wasn't turning out right so I stopped trying. The one after Bartzella is of Osiris's Morning Lilac that was sold as an immature itoh.

I have to replant Bartzella this weekend anyway. I'll take a look at what you suggest.

o

I divided my Singing in the Rain a couple of weeks ago, it was probably a little larger than your smallest root, pwin. I actually had to get a coping saw to get through the woody part. I had read that the Itohs roots were tough but holy cow!,,much harder than a normal herbaceous. I've never had to resort to anything bigger than a steak knife before....

Joopster, I'm glad the eyes developed and that you were able to correct the planting! It might've grown anyway, I've read that the eyes will go for the sun if they're not pointed up but not sure since they were actually pointed straight down!!

I received my order from Pure Peonies today, too dark to open it up and take pics, though. Did take a quick peek, they looked about the same size as Adelmans or Gilbert Wild. I got Gold Mine, Belleville, Lady Orchid, Bowl of Cream, Etched Salmon and Buckeye Belle. Really excited about the Gold Mine and Etched Salmon! I'll put up pics before I plant them if anyone is interested in seeing what they sent but probably won't have time until Friday morning. Tomorrow afternoon is music lessons and orchestra concert for my teen daughter, won't be home in time to do anything with them. Very frustrating when you have a box of peonies ready to plant......

o

Pwin, yes, the flatter side is the one with eyes.

Also, I'm waiting for my 3 Sorbet from Michigan Bulb. 2 weeks ago it said, ship 10-18, now it said 11-8. I'm so frustrated. I'm going to have to these in the pots too then.

o

Ok guys, had to post this one. Got my Fina order in yesterday and almost bounced off the ceiling in excitement when I saw the roots. I had one, Battle Flag WITH OVER 30 EYES!!!! I know I've ordered from Fina in the past and they weren't as big as this year....they actually sent me the wrong order, received last weekend, and I emailed them about it. They said shipping labels got mixed up, apologized for the mistake and told me to keep the ones they sent (3 Edulis Superbas) and that they would dig and ship my order last Tuesday. Opened the box and thought I'd died and gone to Peony Heaven!! The smallest root in the whole bunch was a double red fern leaf and that one had 5 eyes, huge for a fern leaf root! Don't know if they sent me extra special roots for the mix-up or if all of theirs were that big this year. Got them all planted, I KNOW I'll have blooms from this bunch next spring!!!

o

Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 21:10

That is so awesome, Liz. It is so great that they responded to your mix up so quickly and generously. I love happy endings. I look forward to see your blooms next spring.

o

Wow, those really look great, & isn't it nice when a company responds so promptly!

o

Yes it is, ngraham! Hope your new peonies are getting settled in! My daylilies greened right up, looking nice and healthy before our big cold snap that's supposed to hit on Friday....

o

I got this from Parkland in BC. Check out the eyes on this Sunny Girl!

o

That's amazing, Nettie10! I got Sunny Girl this year, mine was maybe 1/5 the size you got, though! Wow!

o

It seems to me the Canadian growers are much more generous with their root size than the growers over here.

o

Glad the daylilies are doing good, such easy plants. I think the peonies are doing good, I see more eyes popping out on some of them, maybe because of the cooler weather? I've grown some peonies for years, but really don't know too much about them. I need to hang out more on this forum to learn. I think I divided my first peony probably close to 30 years ago, had no idea what I was doing. Had a huge peony at an older house we had bought, I was sure it needed to be divided. I remember digging it up right after it flowered & wondered just what I was supposed to divide. I just broke the roots apart every which way & replanted, didn't know then that I shouldn't plant deep. Fortunately, it survived. I still wish I had brought a piece of that peony with me when we moved.

o

Lol, Nette. How did I miss your post? Your root is amazing, and now I'm excited because I intend to order from Parkland next year.

Liz, am I seeing it right or does your Battle Flag (which I now have to look up) look like it has a huge head and scrawny feet? I wonder if that's a candidate for splitting? I'm very interested to see how it develops over the next year.

o

That last photo is unbelievable! Holy cow! :)

o

Hi All! As pwin requested, here is one from Pivoinerie D 'Aoust.

o

Here's one from Parkland Perennials!

o

Here's a one from Blossom Hill!

o

Here's one from Peonies From The Field!

o

Unfortunately I didn't take picts from my order from Ferncliffe but the Tonge of Yellow Itoh was pretty big. Adelman Peonies sent standard size roots, IMO and I got dinged large custom duties on top of the phyto fee. Still happy though as I ordered a few Itohs not offered here in Canada.

o

These roots are so amazing! I'm used to buying from box stores, and even if you are lucky enough find a root with 3 or 4 eyes, the root itself is a fraction of the size of these, & still won't bloom at least 2, usually 3 years. I've learned patience. I've been fortunate & only 1 was the wrong peony, but this is definitely a case of you get what you pay for! Hope everyone posts their pictures next year.

o

Yeah, I think overall the Canadian growers did amazingly well this year! Lucky you guys, we'll be watching for pictures because I know those massive roots are going to translate to huge shrubs with 1st year blooms!

Pwin, to me the Battleflag looked like an incredibly woody broccoli head!

o

Got an order in from the Peony Farm today (ilovepeonies.com) Kinda disappointed because there was a substitution made that I wasn't expecting. Ordered Bouquet Perfect and they sent June Rose instead, still a pretty peony but not the color that attracted me to Bouquet Perfect. But I guess if that's the only disappointment I have with this season's roots I'm doing okay!
Got a package slip today, too--order from Swenson's is at the post office. Still have Paradise Gardens, Aspelund and a 2nd late order that I put in with A & D to come. Aspelund is supposed to be in the mail, maybe I have 2 packages at the post office (hope!).
Aspelund had Silver Dawn Mix, hoping to get a yellow shrub but it's the luck of the draw. Their site was the only one I found offering it this year and really wanted it after seeing Illinoisdoglover's pics last spring!

o

I am sorry to hear that Liz. I hope June Rose will turn out to your liking when you see the flower in person. I did not realize that you order from so many different vendors. I was thinking of getting Silver Dawn Mix too but I refrained due to the fact that you don't know what color you are going to get. I too hope that you get a yellow because that appears to be the nicest from Illinoisdoblover's pics.

o

My Michigan Bulb ordered came. The root is pretty sad looking with no eyes. Looks just like the one that you can get at Home Depot, but just wet. Will post picture soon.

o

Kousa, I wrote to Peony Farm and sent a gentle complaint, they've always been very good in the past and didn't want to be mean. They immediately sent a reply letting me know the roots for Beautiful Bouquet were bad and apologized for substituting without letting me know. They offered to refund the peony but it's not necessary. Wouldn't have complained in the first place if I'd known what was going on.

Joopster, my first tree peonies were from Michigan Bulb and I remember they were pretty sad looking to begin with, too. They've been in place now for 5 years and the largest is appx 5'X5' now, had lots of flowers the last 3 years. Yours will catch up, too. And if they don't, Michigan Bulb will replace them, no questions. If any of the nice, healthy looking, big roots we're getting from the growers don't survive we're just out of luck.

o

I am sorry to hear that Joopster. It is kinda hit or miss with these companies. Sometimes their stuffs can be amazing and other times suck. i bought a bunch of stuffs from them this past spring. None of the bulbs they sent me were good. The two dahlias died and the gladiolus were really small so that of the 20 bulbs, only 5 bloomed. I have better luck with their plants. The roses and fruit treesI ordered from them were pretty nice and grew very well. I would not buy bulbs from them again. Karen

o

Second order from Ferncliffe has arrived.

o

Nice Nettie! I got Mr Ed last year but it hasn't bloomed yet. Maybe we'll both get blooms next spring!!

My last orders are on the way, should be here by Friday. Then no more planting and a whole winter of waiting.....

o

I am still waiting on my orders from the Ebay vendor that sells rockii peonies and one from Old House Garden Bulbs. Overall, I am very impressed with everyone's peonies roots. They look super in size and fresh.

o

I just got my order from Paradise Peonies today, it was filled by Oakes Daylilies. Didn't even know they sold peonies, not sure what to think of that one. Only 4 roots and they looked nice and healthy, though.

o

I've received peony roots from Gilbert Wild today.
They are pretty impressive - 3 of 4 roots have more than 10+ large eyes.
Carol had 12, White Dream 16, Okinawa 10, Krinkled White 5 big eyes!
I really really hope they survive well here, South Texas...

This post was edited by mariandmary on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 23:00

o

They look awesome, marian. I hope they do well for you too. How far south in Texas are you? Some peonies need a certain amount of chilling hours for the flowers to bloom. Good luck.

o

Wow, I've never seen roots that big from GW before and I've ordered from them several times! This has been the fall for big, big roots, mainly from the Canadian growers but our US ones have sent some pretty impressive ones, too.

My best friend in East Texas (zone 7A) says she has peonies growing now, never saw them there when I was growing up. I saw a post somewhere, don't remember if it was in this forum or not, that a lady in the way south was able to grow double peonies and mid-late bloomers, said she dumped ice on her roots several times during the coldest days of her winter. She claimed it worked like a charm. We don't have that problem here.....too much ice most winters and well into spring!

o

Got my 2nd order from A&D yesterday, planted them and the Paradise Peonies order from a few days ago this morning. Still waiting on an order from Aspelund and my teenie tiny tree peonies from KvB and I'll be done for the year.

o

Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 10:40

I received my rockii tree peonies from the Ebay vendor, sexy bloomers. They are not as described. What I received was a stem of scion grafted onto a seedling root stock. The grafted plants look like they were grown for about a year. I am so disappointed and upset. And yet on the sales page, it was listed for 3-5 years tree plants with pictures showing these huge plants with extensive roots and 3-4 stems per plant. I would be happy even if my plants have only 2 stems, Maifleur was right. I should not believe everything that was written even with Ebay Buyer Protection esp. if the products are from China. This has been a really unpleasant and negative shopping experience for me. I would definitely refrain from buying any more plants from Ebay.

o

I'm sorry to hear that, Kousa. Do they look healthy enough to survive the winter? I hope you can eventually have the nice tree peonies you wanted, even if it takes a few years more.
Did you end up getting the Rockii tree peony from the hybridizer, too? I can't remember the name but we talked about him here early in the season, Harold something? If so, how did that one look? I think you talked about getting the order in from him but it must be in a different thread, couldn't find it here.

o

Thank you for the suggestions. This is the first time I grow peonies. I did know that a peony was not a good candidate for Southern gardens but I was desperate to see the gigantic beautiful flowers here.

Yes I would definitely try the ice thing. I am doing some experiments now with peonies and planning to post them later for southern & container gardeners if I have significant results. I have purchased peony roots from online nursery stores, ebay sellers, and individual gardeners like us. The roots I purchased include 2-3 year-old ones, divisions of a super mature plant, or even undivided mature root which needed to be cut to be potted in a 18-inch container. Those roots from Gilbert Wild were potted in 2 gallon pots. They look okay (actually roots are not in big sizes though they have many eyes) and I would be able to do some experiments related to the low winter temperature. In the near future, I would need to place them in bigger containers.

As I wanted to see blooms, I purchased early bloomers such as festiva maxima, and coral charm. Gilbert Wild's catalog has been reduced, so I did not have many choice with less popular peonies. Anyway, I am sooooooooo satisfied with my first transaction with Gilbert Wild!!!

*the picture was taken to see how the eyes were positioned. After this picture, they were covered with soil as the instruction says peonies in south sould be covered by soil in the ground level...

This post was edited by mariandmary on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 23:10

o

Kousa, I made several purchases from the ebay and realized the quality is really hard to expect.. My coral charm plant which I bought from an ebayseller in August had a root thinner than my small fingers and no visible eye. But surprisingly it survived really well (it recovered its green foliage and maintained it over a month here, under the scorching Sun!

My etched salmon from an ebayer had sort of root but eyes are tiny and have rotten color.. I have attached picture of the eyes..

This post was edited by mariandmary on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 13:30

o

Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 15:52

I was hoping to see flowers from my rockii tree peonies purchase next spring but from the look of things, I don't expect to see any flowers until maybe 2 or 3 years from now if I am lucky. i hope the scions of these grafts make it. If they die, I am out of luck as I will be left with two rootstocks. Liz, yes I did receive a Joseph Rock peony tree from Mr. Entsminger. It is a division of a mother plant not a grafted plant. That is another issue. See my tree peony help post. So far this tree seems to be ok as some of the buds are still green. I canceled my order of Japanese peonies trees with KVBorgendien because they kept bumping the delivery dates till later. Please allow me to vent some of my frustrations. Thank you for listening.

Marian, I am sorry you have to hear about my frustrations. But if you know or can find a good source for tree peonies, you should consider growing tree peonies for your zone as they do not require chilling time for flower buds to develop.

o

Kousa,

I will try tree peonies, but not this year.. Somehow.. I am less attracted by tree peonies. I grew up in Asian counties, so either tree or itoh peony flowers are just so so to me. I might want to have some later in my life when I miss my childhood.

In addition, I have 16 new pots of peonies to take care of, as a result of my exploration on different sources of peony roots. Buying through Ebay was just like a gambling. I do not think Ebay tries to protect its users. Merchants in China are not reliable from my viewpoint, not simply because they want to mock you, but because they have little understanding about consumer right, customer service, etc though it is getting better..

This post was edited by mariandmary on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 18:08

o

Hey Mariandmary, someone posted a link to this blog last spring I think, she's not as far south as you but there might be some good info there.

Kousa, I'm sorry this was a poor year for acquiring tree peonies for you. Don't know if you're done purchasing for the year but Chateau CarMarron ships through the end of the year, they have Rockii trees. And Vermont Wildflower Farm has their pre-season (spring) sale going on now, think they had 5-7 different tree peonies, several Itohs and a few herbaceous for a decent price. We have such crazy springs here it's chancy planting then but they have a great guarantee on their plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Peony Blog

o

Thanks Liz!
The link would be really helpful!! I like the blogger's massive work:)

o

Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 18:59

I think I'd better not get any more Liz. I believe that I have quite a bit to take care of at this time as some will probably require a lot of TLC. My comfort is knowing that I will have a great probability of blooms from herbaceous peonies next spring. I can't wait to see your pictures as well as others who acquire quite a number of peonies this season.

o

Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 19:05

I also want to add:

Many thanks to all who posted pictures of the plants they received this year. It is great to know what a nice root/plant looks like. I am sure this will be very helpful to those who are starting out.

Best of luck to everyone and may we all get lots of blooms next spring! Karen

o

If you have not planted the tp's from Sexy Bloomers you need to plant so that the stem is under the soil. This way the roots will come from the stem and the nurse root will provide nutrients and not stems.

o

Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 11:15

Maifleur, I have them potted in grow bags. Do I still need to cover the entire stems with soil? The vendor completely misrepresented the plants. She offered to waive the shipping charges so I decided just to keep them. On one plant, there is a 4 inch scion grafted including the diagonal side cut. The second plant has an 8 in scion grafted. Thank you in advance.
Karen

o

• Posted by nmay none (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 13:41

Those are some great looking roots; I hope they grow well for all of you. These posts have also had some influence on how I will order in the future, so thank you all for that.

Here is a monster intersectional root that I received from Select Plus International Nursery in Quebec, Canada. It had 10+ eyes.

o

Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 19:53

That's an impressive root, nmay. I've only heard of people receiving tiny roots from them.

Kousa, I think you're lucky to have received your tree peonies this year. I've read many comments from people who've ordered from Sexy B and not received their trees the year they were ordered (even the year after). Sexy B keeps having to change their suppliers. Refunding your shipping fee is decent of them. I hope your trees survive.

o

Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 21:07

pwin, I was not aware of Sexy B's history. On Ebay, she has a high positive feedback rating as a seller though the ebay name is not Sexy Bloomer. It was not like she agreed to waive my shipping charges after the first complaint. It took a lot of back and forth, At one point it got a bit unpleasant for me. I think if I did not have the Ebay Buyer Protection, she would not refund any money to me. Overall, it was a very negative and unpleasant shopping experience. Wow, I am sorry to hear about others terrible time with this seller. And I thought mine was bad.

o

Kousa, I would cover both stems half of their length. The shorter one is probably one of the dwarf tp's which is why the stem is so short. I have found that if the end bud is completely covered the plant dies.

Many intersectional are rapid growers and will grow rapidly. The really small sized roots are from tissue culture's. Many but not all intersectional's grow so rapidly that they will need to be divided with a power saw.

o

My peonies from OHG and Fina Gardens arrived today. I'm so excited and I'm looking forward to gettting these tubers planted.

The tubers from Fina Gardens were massive, the biggest I have ever seen compared to peonies that I have ordered from other companies in the past.

Here is a comparison of Jacorma from Fina Gardens compared to the OHG tubers. I'm happy with both products. OHG sent a gift of red spider lilies and double pink poppy seeds, with a lovely apology note about the size of their tubers, Apparently, I got their last 2 Mrs. FDR.

The peonies from OHG have at least 4-6 eyes, and should do well. I can't wait till next spring, and hopefully I'll get some blooms from these new plants. I really looking forward to seeing Mrs. FDR bloom, I've wanted this plant for years.

I will definitely be ordering from both of these companies again. I love the old fashioned, double blooming scented peonies.

o

Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 11:56

Those are some really nice roots, amhkgn. That Jacorma peony root is huge! Are there any big eyes on them? The big eyes have a greater probability of forming flower than the small ones. May I ask what you ordered from OHG? I would love to see flowers on my Mrs FDR next spring as it not bloom this past spring.

o

Hi kousa,

From OHG I got 2 Mrs. FDR, Hermione, and Phillip Riviore. The tubers were small, but they had 4-6 eyes per tuber.

The Fina Gardens tubers had 10-12 eyes on the 2 that I unpacked. I haven't unpacked the rest of them yet, but I'll let you know about those as well.

o

I just picked these up at $60 a piece. They are Takara and Misaka

Monrovia itohs do cost a lot, but the tubers basically take up the whole pot, and I was able to split off quite a bit of pieces from these as I have plenty of herbaceous roots to graft the woody sections onto.

o

That is awesome. I have been looking for Mikasa since I have learned of it 2 years ago. Where did you buy it?

o

I just bought it at my local gardening center and got a deal for 25% off both of them so I went with it.

If every division takes, I should have around 60 of them alive next year since most of them are grafted, and 2 huge flowering plants off of each one of these.

I'm assuming that itohs can be grafted onto herbaceous roots.

o

Holy Cow Stevelau, that's a lot of peonies!!! Hope all of them make it, that'll be an amazing field of blooms!!

o

I've gotten 1 itoh peony bud to take from a broken off bud which turned into a nice small plant, rooting out by itself so I'm guessing if buds with a bit of cambium layer attached are grafted onto herbaceous roots, and they are compatible, I should be getting some amazing results.

o

Please post pictures of your successes for the rest of us to drool over, Steve! That is going to be truly amazing when all of those start to bloom.

o

Sure.

I believe that the 4 big pieces should flower right away in 2014, but the smaller grafted pieces shouldn't get to blooming size until 2015 or 2016 simply because the scion material is too small to generate much in one year.

Whenever you have a tiny eye with little grafting material, it simply can't use up all the starches in a fairly large nurse root so you will still end up with tiny plants, but a 1 eye division turns into a 5-10 eyes on the following year, then we are are getting serious.

I think itohs should do well grafted onto herbaceous roots since it's even closer related than the tree peonies.

I'll likely get updates on my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's blog

o

I'm still waiting for my 3 Sorbet roots from Michigan Bulb. We are in the 5th night of freeze here in Chicago. I really hope they come soon.

I also have 3 peony plants sitting in 3 gal pots above ground. I really need to put in the ground this weekend. I hope it still ok.

o

My little etched salmon from ebay have been doing amazing!
I knew I should not disturb the plants but I was so curious... and these were the smallest and worst ones among the roots I have potted/planted this year.

o

Surprisingly, one has produced 3 more visible eyes during a month!

o

They look great! I believe those big eyes should give you some blooms next year.

o

As long as they have callus tissue with enough auxins, even with no eyes, they should have the ability to produce new eyes through their dormancy period.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here