Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
powdery mildew question - sorry!

Posted by emmgus 6 nj (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 07 at 8:55

hi there,

i have 2 two year old festiva maximas that did beautifully this year. i have been careful to only water them at the bottom, but i think all the rain in our area this year has done them in. they both have signs of mildew, not too bad, but it's there.

my questions are these: should i bother to do anything (organic only) about it this year? i'm planning to put a few more white doubles in soon, and i don't want a big problem on my hands in the future. also, can i treat them with something either now or in the spring to help prevent it next year? any good tried and true methods?

thanks in advance for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: powdery mildew question - sorry!

For powdery mildew I spray with ultrsfine horticultural oil, or neem oil. Nothing will remove the damage already done, but the oil is effective in preventing more of it. You may need to spray every week or two if conditions continue. When you remove the foliage at seasons end I would spray the soil with Bordeaux mixture. Al

o

thanks al for your response. i am planning to use horticultural oil on another plant that had scale this summer, so i guess i will do both that and the peonies. i've never used bordeaux mixture, i'm assuming i can look up the recipe. thanks for the tips.

o

Recipe is the right word. Bordeaux must be made when you need to use it. It is one of the messiest concoctions ever to use, stains everything, but lasts in the garden through most rains. Al

o

Al, do you ever just sprinkle it on the ground in the spring? Do I have to spray it? I'm cleaning up peony foilage now and there is a lot of dry stuff. These peonies got hailed on 4 times this year and a lot of the top foilage dried up. I have never made a spray out of bordeaux, just sprinkled it on. It came in a package with holes in the top.

o

Premixed Bordeaux will not compare with freshly made. Google Bordeaux mix and I am sure directions how to make your own will be available. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here