Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowling888

Growing peonies in pots Fall or spring?

snowling888
14 years ago

I want to plant some peonies in 20" pots, as everyone tells me we should plant peonies in fall, but does that rule apply to container growing as well?

Comments (15)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Most of us are planting from bare root or a fresh division and most are available in the fall. You can plant it from one pot to another any time. Keep it in the shade for a while if done in the summer. In your zone you will probably need to protect the pots during the winter. Al

• intersectionalpeony
    14 years ago

I live in Baltimore. I have hundreds of tree peonies, intersectional peonies, and herbeceous peonies growing in containers. You said you have 20 inch containers. I do not know the depth of your containers. My 13 gallon container are 20 inches wide and about 16 inches deep. You can grow any of the three in those here in Maryland. However, MA is colder. Due to the large container size, I believe you will be fine. Plant your roots as if you were planting directly in the soil. I have grown peonies in containers for 11 years. Watering in the summer is the biggest effort due to the numbers I grow.

• peonyman
    14 years ago

Intersectional peony,

I have not encountered any individual that grows as many peonies as you in pots. Why did you choose to grow in pots rather than the ground? How well do they bloom? How large do the tree peonies get? Do you have any type of automated watering for your containers. How do you handle your plants in winter, are you on the eastern shore, is it mild enough to leave them outdoors? Sorry for the barrage of questions. You have more experience growing in pots than anyone I have encountered and it seems I am always being asked about growing peonies in pots.

Leon

• amulet
    14 years ago

intersectionalpeony, it sounds like you are starting a nursery. I would love to see a picture of the peonies in bloom. What are you going to do with all of those pots after your planned 2010 division if you don't sell them?!

• intersectionalpeony
    14 years ago

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been traveling alot. I have no idea what I will do with the extra roots.

• josie_ambercakes_com
    14 years ago

I would love to take a few off of your hands! I will be a beginner grower of peonies and just love them! I live in Northern VA. I would be growing them in containers as well. Let me know what you think? Thanks so much. josie at ambercakes dot com.

• sapphire15261_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I love peony and is the first time to plant it in roots in container about 16" square. I planted 3 of them it in early spring; follow the direction from online, everyday I try to see how they are doing, but days after days I don't see nothing different from the first day I planted-almost two month. Today I pulled out the root and try to see why? I found that the roots became smaller and break into pcs; seems like rotted...I am very sad and want to know why? I water it but only when it is dry and keep soil just moisture to dry. Am I wrong? Can I take it out and store it in cold place or refri. and plant it again in fall. I live in zone 10, summer is hot and winter will snow but not much; that is the reason why I want to plant it in pot, I can move it inside when winter comes, and move it for the full sun and shade when is needed! Please let me know how can I do it better, I am sad to see if the roots are dying!

• cadelot
    9 years ago

I have a peony in a pot in north Texas. I can't remember if this will be my 2nd or 3 rd year. Somewhere I learned that peonies like to dry out some. My DH has strict orders to not ever water it. I do all the watering of that pot.
    It looks very healthy but no blooms. The parent plant is in full bloom right now I hear. I will go see for myself this weekend when I visit my daughter.
    I have not fertilized it yet. I think maybe I will do that & next year move the pot in to more sun.

• cadelot
    9 years ago

I have a peony in a pot in north Texas. I can't remember if this will be my 2nd or 3 rd year. Somewhere I learned that peonies like to dry out some. My DH has strict orders to not ever water it. I do all the watering of that pot.
    It looks very healthy but no blooms. The parent plant is in full bloom right now I hear. I will go see for myself this weekend when I visit my daughter.
    I have not fertilized it yet. I think maybe I will do that & next year move the pot in to more sun.

• cadelot
    9 years ago

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

I never heard of a peony that liked drying out. They do like a soil, or in the container, it would be a soil less mix, that is well drained. If you are having trouble with a mix getting water logged, you have the wrong mix. Al

• bunti
    9 years ago

How do you care them in winter?

I have noticed that the roots in the pot don't grow much. Roots that are in ground grows really good.

• marrowbrenda24
    7 years ago

Too much rain water in peonies pot, Will it die, please help.

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

You'll want to get it drained well as soon as possible. You might need to drill more drainage holes to keep it from repeating or raise it up on feet if it's on a solid surface. Might also want to add some sand if the soil holds water too well. Good luck, hope you save it.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths