Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Peony With Few Blooms

Posted by lionheart z5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 10:29

Hi folks,

I've been reading through this board and have to make a decision regarding an unknown but very fragrant peony.

This peony was a "shared" plant and no one knows what it is, but it is by far the most fragrant of the 8 peonies I have in various beds.

It would probably be easier to identify if it had more blooms. This past spring was the third year in the bed and the first year it bloomed, and the plant is about 3 feet high and equally as wide. It only put out 2 or 3 blooms on one side of the plant this year.

It smelled so heavenly that I want more blooms from it. :-)

It's in a bed with a rose, some daylilies, sedum, and a couple of other peonies. The bed is in full sun and the other 2 peony plants in that bed bloomed generously. The bed itself is well composted. I'm thinking that maybe the crown is planted too deeply, at least on one side since it only bloomed on one side.

So the dilemma is should I just try to remove some of the soil, or should I try to dig it up a bit, somewhat like re-adjusting its height? Or, could it be that it just needs to be a bit more mature to produce more blooms?

If I do have to re-adjust its position, is it better to wait until after the first hard frost or should I do it now?

Thank you!

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Peony With Few Blooms

Where the plant has only been 3 years in a well composted bed I think you should be able to, with help, use a transplant spade on each side raise the whole peony to optimal height for your area. Now or a little later I don't think would matter. Al

o
RE: Unknown Peony With Few Blooms

Thank you, Al!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here