Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackie_o_gw

Good tree peony source

jackie_o
10 years ago

Yesterday I received a very nice tree peony from a company I just found. I've always wanted Kinkaku (Souvenir de Maxime Cornu) and after seeing the thread here on Gardenweb about from the lady who divided her mother's tree peony (and the gorgeous photos), I got the bug again. I went searching for it and the few places I found it were sold out. Then I found this place - Chateau CharMarron
Peony Gardens:
http://4peonies.com/index.html

I emailed Marcia and she responded right away. She worked to send me the best one she had and it arrived yesterday (all very quick between ordering, sending my check and receiving my order). It's a lovely, large one and I'm very excited to see it bloom.

Comments (17)

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Should it bloom next spring? Looking forward to seeing the pictures! I remember that post, it was an old one that was started before I found this forum but she updated it the next year when the division bloomed, that's when I saw it. You're right, that was a gorgeous flower.

• pwin
    10 years ago

That was a great story! I was happy to see the update, too, but did the mother's plants make it?? What a fright she must have had seeing her beloved tree chopped up.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure the post said the mother's plants bloomed too, that all of the divisions made it. Maybe I'll try to find it again and post a response to bring it to the front again, it was an interesting string and the flowers were gorgeous.

Went back looking for the tree peony post but couldn't find it right away. Found some other interesting posts, spent half an hour engrossed in beautiful peony pics, questions and good advice! I'll try again to find it later, got a long day tomorrow of work followed by chauffeuring my teen around for the evening....

This post was edited by LizinElizabeth on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 23:01

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey gang. I had to have my hubby plant the tree peony. Now that the huge rootball is in the ground, the pic may not seem so impressive, but I know that it's a good size. I've planted other tree peonies that were the tiny sticks you see at the box stores and they've thrived in a few years.

Here's a link to most of my peonies. I have more but don't have access to pics right now. The red tree peony I now remember is Hatsugarusu not Shimanishiki. I bought them both at the same time and Shimanishiki died the first winter.

Anyway - pictures!

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

What a delight,Jackie. The flowers are so gorgeous and the plants are placed so nicely in your beautiful garden. I really enjoy looking at your photos. You captured the beauty of the peonies so well in your photos. Fantastic job! How old are these established tree peonies?

• pwin
    10 years ago

Gorgeous pictures, Jackie. I'd love to know what variety is the 8th and 9th one. Your first red tree peony is amazing. It looks many years old.

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I LOVE peonies! The red one is about eight years old. I bought it in a gallon pot at a local nursery (along with Shimanishiki also in a gallon pot from that nursery but it didn't make it through the winter).

I have two of the same yellow that were sold to me also at a local nursery end of the season sale for $7 in tiny quart sized plastic pots. They yellow was marked Kinshi. (five years old - five feet tall!)

The pink was one of those tiny little boxed peonies that couldn't have been more than a six inch stick. Also five years old. It is Kamatanishiki. Now I've seen that variety look more lavendar than my pinker hued one, but my soil effects color. My hydrangeas always go to the pink rather than blue. And I don't try to manipulate the soil by adding acid because I'm happy with the colors of my hydranges. Also time of day effects the colors. Evening light has more red, so that effects the tint the flowers appear.

I will post a pic of the new Souv. de Maxime Cornu but like I said, it won't look huge to you, but it's a lot bigger than the other ones when they started and the root system was massive.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Can't believe that they grew from small plants. They put out some really nice growth over a 5 years period. I love your tree peonies bushes both the pink and the yellow ones. How long did the flowers last for you? I also love your yellow roses. What are they?

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The flowers lasted a nice long time this spring, but we had perfect weather. Perfect amount of rain, perfect temps!

The rose is David Austin's Golden Celebration. That's a cutting I took from the mother plant. It's a beautiful rose with a nice fragrance. I love roses too and have a ton of them.
    :)

I'm amazed at how big the tree peonies are getting. It made picking where I wanted the new one to go a little harder. I'm also wondering if I need to start pruning them. I don't know anything about pruning tree peonies, but I can't let these guys get seven feet tall either. Not where they are in the garden!

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone, Jackie_o, your peonies are absolutely beautiful! They all look so lush and healthy, looks like you're doing a wonderful job!

I've never pruned a tree peony either but I've read several posts about it here, doesn't sound too bad...Yours look so perfect I'd be afraid to mess with them, though!

Please do post the pic of the tree peony you got from Chateau CM, really interested in what their stock looks like. If you're impressed I'll probably put a couple of their trees on my wish list for next year (or maybe this year since they mail out until the end of the year)!

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info on tree peonies, Jackie. Roses are my new love, too. I do not have any experience with tree peonies pruning. Like Liz, I would not dare to touch such perfect growing plants as they look so healthy and beautiful.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I did find that post about the woman who talked her mother into dividing her prized peony....replied so it was brought forward again so we can see the beautiful bloom! Hopefully we'll see Jackie_o's next spring!

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sure hope I got the right peony and I hope it blooms in the spring!
    Here's the photo. Keep your fingers crossed!

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Your tree looks great, Jackie! I have only started growing tree peonies this year so I still have a lot to learn. Because the stems are woody and brown, it is really hard to tell if they are alive or dead. When do your tree peonies shed leaves and when do they start growing leaves in the spring? Do they send out flower buds first or peony leaves first? Karen

• pwin
    10 years ago

That's big! I'm impressed. Do update when the little tree starts growing in the spring.

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm. Uploaded that from an ipad. It wasn't upside down on that! Used the GW upload button. Oh well, you get the idea lol.

Karen my tree peonies lose their leaves in the fall just like any other deciduous tree. They start leafing out usually in March. The thing to worry about is when we get those 80 degree days in March and the buds start to get really big (they look like chicken feet when they start!) and then we have an April freeze. You can lose all the flowers that way. So I always hope for a nice gradual warm up in the spring.

• graycrna4u
    10 years ago

Have bought from treepeonygarden and chateau charmarron and both are great vendors. 10 tree peonies between the two and all had at least 2 woody stems (most had more) and extensive root systems. I would recommend both vendors. Treepeonygarden sells out quickly (they start taking orders July 1 and some plants will be sold out by July 14). With them, I have found it best to wait until August or September and a new icon appears on their website for yearly specials (the prices are much more reasonable) starting at $5/$10/$15/$20/$30 plants that are nice plants. Chateau Charmarron has good prices, great plants, and they dig bare root until the end of December(longer than the rest, makes good Christmas gifts). Both vendors are great, plants are great.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia