Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

erqiao (è±äºå¬) and shima nishiki (ãã¿ã³, 島é¦)

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

Both are well-known multi-colored TPs.

Shima Nishiki (ãÂÂã¿ã³, 島é¦) is a bud mutation of TP cultivar Taiyo (太é½) developed in Japan in 1974. Taiyo has all red flowers. Therefore, it is normal for shima nishiki to occasionally revert to all red flowers.

Erqiao (äºÂå¬) also called Huaerqiao (è±äºÂå¬) is an ancient Chinese cultivar. The flowers on Erqiao can be completely purple, completely pink or bi-colored. On bi-colored flowers, the colors on some are half pink and half purple while others are intertwined like shima nishiki. Its origin is unknown and replaced by a myth:

There was a black dragon which damaged the TPs of farmers. Two sisters (two beauties, erqiao) spent nine nights and made a field of origami TPs. They hid under the origami TPs, which would not wilt in front of the dragon, and slayed the black dragon.

Unfortunately, the two sisters both died in the combat with the dragon. The farmers were very thankful and buried them in a prominent tomb.

The second year, a TP appeared in front of the tomb of the two sisters. A couple years later, the TP produced bi-colored flowers, remembering the two sisters.

{{gwi:283353}}

Er qiao sectional bi-color:

2009 Movie depiction of Erqiao sisters:

Er qiao intertwined bi-color:

Er qiao solid purple and solid pink flowers:

This post was edited by jujujojo on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 20:47

Comments (11)

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

That is such a sweet story. I just love these stories associating with plants. And the flowers are just gorgeous!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 14:31

A few nurseries (thompson & morgan, shoot gardening, etc) mistakenly describe "er qiao" or "hua er qiao" as a pink peony with delicate fragrance. It is possible that they have no specific knowledge and mistaken the purple part as an error:) Cricket hill garden, the garden window, etc got it right.

• pwin
    10 years ago

I agree with Kousa. Thank you for sharing that.

• jackie_o
    10 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful photos and the wonderful tale!

In your fourth photo of Shima Nishiki, there is a solid red bloom at the bottom. I bought a Shima Nishiki almost ten years ago and every year it blooms profusely, but all of the blooms look like that single red. I've always thought I just got a mis-label, but now that I saw your picture I'm wondering if I'll ever, ever get a full, bi-color, ruffly bloom like yours.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by jackie_o zone 5/6 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 10:28

I don't believe that is normal. There should be many bi-colored blooms every year.

• littlebin
    10 years ago

I think you made a mistake on one photo:

The pic under "Er qiao intertwined bi-color:" is actually Shima nishiki.

You can also see the leaves of this pic are different from leaves from other pics of "Er qiao"

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by littlebin none (My Page) on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 1:32

Thank you so much for your pointers. I have corrected the images based on your suggestion.

In that case, then, I don't have a good picture of "Er qiao intertwined bi-color". The new picture is too blue or purple. In the picture, only the top left section of the flower has a couple petals showing the "intertwined bi-color" feature. The image with this section expanded is included below, In case you wear glasses :)

Would you say a little more about these? You seem to be very knowledgeable about these.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 17:42

• littlebin
    10 years ago

Hi, thank you! It is not easy to find Er qiao with intertwined bi-color. Mostly it only has a few petals showing the intertwined bi-color. This is just the way it is.

It is more common for Shima nishiki to have intertwined bi-color.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by littlebin none (My Page) on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 12:36

Oh, I see.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by jackie_o zone 5/6 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 10:28

Do you have a lot of snow now? Do you remove the snow?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some images from this year:

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!