Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
erqiao (花二喬) and shima nishiki (ボタン, 島錦)

Posted by jujujojo none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 12:39

Both are well-known multi-colored TPs.

Shima Nishiki (ボタン, 島錦) is a bud mutation of TP cultivar Taiyo (太陽) developed in Japan in 1974. Taiyo has all red flowers. Therefore, it is normal for shima nishiki to occasionally revert to all red flowers.

photo a4_zps8756276e.jpg

photo a3_zpsbdbbb683.jpg

photo a2_zps53b9174f.jpg

photo a1_zpsaa9b1b61.jpg

photo 5_zpscd88d5e0.jpg

Erqiao (二喬) also called Huaerqiao (花二喬) is an ancient Chinese cultivar. The flowers on Erqiao can be completely purple, completely pink or bi-colored. On bi-colored flowers, the colors on some are half pink and half purple while others are intertwined like shima nishiki. Its origin is unknown and replaced by a myth:

There was a black dragon which damaged the TPs of farmers. Two sisters (two beauties, erqiao) spent nine nights and made a field of origami TPs. They hid under the origami TPs, which would not wilt in front of the dragon, and slayed the black dragon.

Unfortunately, the two sisters both died in the combat with the dragon. The farmers were very thankful and buried them in a prominent tomb.

The second year, a TP appeared in front of the tomb of the two sisters. A couple years later, the TP produced bi-colored flowers, remembering the two sisters.

photo a_zps663d3657.jpg

Er qiao sectional bi-color:

photo 12a_zpsa2529280.jpg

photo 0a_zpse7807a57.jpg

photo 0_zps0d67a9b5.jpg

photo 1_zpscf53b407.jpg

photo 1_zpsb8427e20.jpg

2009 Movie depiction of Erqiao sisters:

photo 3_zps84ea5c84.jpg

Er qiao intertwined bi-color:

photo 0_zps877a4663.jpg

Er qiao solid purple and solid pink flowers:
 photo a_zps06792480.jpg

photo a2_zpsdda6e359.jpg

photo c_zps88b696cd.jpg

photo a1_zps1fab6c51.jpg

photo 2_zps8089afbc.jpg

This post was edited by jujujojo on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 20:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: erqiao (花二喬) and shima nishiki (ボタン, 島錦)

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 14:31

That is such a sweet story. I just love these stories associating with plants. And the flowers are just gorgeous!

o

Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 14:31

A few nurseries (thompson & morgan, shoot gardening, etc) mistakenly describe "er qiao" or "hua er qiao" as a pink peony with delicate fragrance. It is possible that they have no specific knowledge and mistaken the purple part as an error:) Cricket hill garden, the garden window, etc got it right.

o

I agree with Kousa. Thank you for sharing that.

o

Thanks for the beautiful photos and the wonderful tale!

In your fourth photo of Shima Nishiki, there is a solid red bloom at the bottom. I bought a Shima Nishiki almost ten years ago and every year it blooms profusely, but all of the blooms look like that single red. I've always thought I just got a mis-label, but now that I saw your picture I'm wondering if I'll ever, ever get a full, bi-color, ruffly bloom like yours.

o

Posted by jackie_o zone 5/6 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 10:28

I don't believe that is normal. There should be many bi-colored blooms every year.

o

I think you made a mistake on one photo:

The pic under "Er qiao intertwined bi-color:" is actually Shima nishiki.

You can also see the leaves of this pic are different from leaves from other pics of "Er qiao"

o

Posted by littlebin none (My Page) on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 1:32

Thank you so much for your pointers. I have corrected the images based on your suggestion.

In that case, then, I don't have a good picture of "Er qiao intertwined bi-color". The new picture is too blue or purple. In the picture, only the top left section of the flower has a couple petals showing the "intertwined bi-color" feature. The image with this section expanded is included below, In case you wear glasses :)

photo 0_zps2e77b092.jpg

Would you say a little more about these? You seem to be very knowledgeable about these.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 17:42

o

Hi, thank you! It is not easy to find Er qiao with intertwined bi-color. Mostly it only has a few petals showing the intertwined bi-color. This is just the way it is.

It is more common for Shima nishiki to have intertwined bi-color.

o

Posted by littlebin none (My Page) on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 12:36

Oh, I see.

o

Posted by jackie_o zone 5/6 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 10:28

Do you have a lot of snow now? Do you remove the snow?

o

Some images from this year:

photo 0_zps995417e0.jpg

photo 1_zps762cfb5b.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here