Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemoine's Disease

Posted by lactifloralunatic 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 13:58

I have recently been involved with a peony disease called Lemoine's Disease. I am wondering if any of you have experience with or information about this disease. Here's what I already know/think I know:

-Lemoine's Disease is suspected to be caused by a virus
-There is no cure - peonies must be dug and destroyed
-symptoms include dwarfed and spindly foliage, lack of flowers, and compact, knobby roots
-Disease is only transferrable via sap - cutting tools, shovels, etc.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemoine's Disease

Part correct but part wrong. Not always dwarfed etc. and not only transferrable via sap. If you have the desease you should not plant peonies in the area.

Alice Harding lactiflora has Lemoine's but is a full vigorous plant with huge flowers.

Suggest contact Don Hollingsworth at www.nursery@hpeonies.com with a description of you plants. It sounds more like an advanced Root Knot nematode problem.

o

Thanks for the response maifleur! What other ways can this disease be transferred besides through sap?

o

• Posted by peonyman Zone 5, Lawrence, Ks (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 18:13

Lactiflorallunatic,

I think Maifluer was referring to the transfer of Lemoines via root contact. The roots can cross underground in very close contact and the virus actually move from plant to plant.

One of the most common ways to transfer the disease is in the spring when you disbud to get larger blooms. It is advisable to sanitize your pruning sheers or knife before moving on the next plant when you are clipping off the side buds. You can just carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to wipe the knife or pruner blade surface.

The tell-tell sign of Lemoine's disease is enlarged areas on the roots of the peony. The enlargements will only be on older primary and secondary roots but not on the feeder roots. Root knot nematode will show up with small pearls on the feeder roots. It also can also cause the secondary storage roots to have enlargements on them similar to Lemoine's. Lemoine's disease does not have the small root galls on the feeder roots.

A plant with root know nematode can be cured by dividing and removing all feeder roots and cutting the primary root back to 6-8 inches. Plant in a different non-infected area. If you have Lemoines then you need to destroy the plant and hope you have not spread it.

Lets change the subject. Talking about Lemoine's will give me insomnia.

Leon

o

Sort of Leon but not quite. Although it is not as wide spread as it was at one time. Some of my reading leads me to suggest that the disease may stay in the soil for some time. Part but not all of the disease remaining in the soil is because of the composting of the root fibers left in the soil. Since peonies are not the only thing effected by Lemoines leaving that area fallow for a number of years is probably a wise idea. Lemoine's also will so as braided fibers within the root not necessary only in the enlarged areas.

The description line 3 leads me to believe that the OP may not have lemoine's but root galls of the type seen in the brassia family which show as a clubed root. Sometimes caused by a mineral imbalance. But Don with his experience would be able to make some better suggestions.

o

Sort of Leon but not quite. Although it is not as wide spread as it was at one time. Some of my reading leads me to suggest that the disease may stay in the soil for some time. Part but not all of the disease remaining in the soil is because of the composting of the root fibers left in the soil. Since peonies are not the only thing effected by Lemoines leaving that area fallow for a number of years is probably a wise idea. Lemoine's also will so as braided fibers within the root not necessary only in the enlarged areas.

The description line 3 leads me to believe that the OP may not have lemoine's but root galls of the type seen in the brassia family which show as a clubed root. Sometimes caused by a mineral imbalance. But Don with his experience would be able to make some better suggestions.

o
RE: white spots on peonies and white leaves

I have had my beautiful peonies growing in my yard for 50 years. Last year for the first time they developed white spots on the leaves and then the leaves turned white. I thought it was because we had such a rainy spring. But this year they seem to be doing the same thing. Please help....I loved those peonies.

o

mamecmh61,

What zone are you in? How much air circulation do these peonies get? It sounds like you may have powdery mildew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here