Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bloom season for Z5/6,newbie help

Posted by wren-garden zone 5b/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 15:10

Those in Zone 5-6, what is your bloom season? In your garden what time period is E,M,and L? I will be putting in my first order for Herbaceous Peonies this week and would like to have this info to make the best choices. They will be in a mixed cottage garden bed that may have other perennials blooming at the same time. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bloom season for Z5/6,newbie help

You need to do research to find what is best in your area. Most growers will list plants as early, mid, or late. You can use that as a basis but the sequence is based on the bloom time of Red Charm and not a actual date. The last couple of years my plants have been all mixed up as to bloom time.

The species generally bloom early. My first used to be the first week in March but has moved to the second week. Then some of the singles, then starts the rest and end up with the full doubles. The full doubles will need support for their bloom stems but even with the support I would suggest that you cut a few before they are fully open. Leave outside overnight with the stems in water so the ants will leave.

It may just be one of those things but when the doubles break into full bloom heavy rains will happen. If you cut and take some in they can last a while in a container.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here