Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bad looking peonies

Posted by greenmulberry 4/5 Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 15:23

Early summer I purchased a new property that has three peonies in the yard. They look just terrible. The foliage is yellowy and wimpy looking, and the flowers were poor.

I would like to move these to a nice bright sunny spot that is hopefully more to their liking (I hate where they are anyway). I believe this is the right time of year for that, correct? Any tips for digging them and to get these poor things looking good when they come back? I have never grown peonies before, I inherited a lot of plants with this new house and I am scrambling to give everything a little TLC before our frosts come.

Thanks! Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bad looking peonies

Hello and welcome, peonies generally are tough. I've moved mine more than once to get them out of deepening shade. I have heavy clay soil here in VA. so I add compost and sand when I replant. Don't bury the eyes more than an inch. Cut away and get rid of the old folliage every year to reduce the chance of blight.

No matter how careful you are, you will probably wind up with more plants than you started with. Replant everything that has an eye. In a few years that single stalk will be a healthy blooming peony with many flowers. If you have too many of one kind, you can trade for others that you don't have.

Keep in touch. Let us know how it goes.

o
RE: bad looking peonies

I think in your zone, 2" is the recommended depth for the eye-it is in my zone and you are colder. After the soil freezes, cover the spot with a layer of salt marsh hay or other non-packing mulch to help prevent heaving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here