Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony diagnosis?

Posted by darinv 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 17:28

I recently purchased and transplanted several peonies. Originally they were all under my locust tree, so they were being exposed too harshly to sun. I was guessing that they had developed some type of fungus, so i relocated one of them, to no avail.
Does anybody know what's going on here.
First picture is a krinkled white peony, massive amounts of drying brown leaves, although not all of them are dried. Notice what appears to be fungus on stem.
Third pic, or second plant is tom eckhardt peony, huge amounts of white mildew that I have been spraying with a fungicide for a week now.
Should i just cut these back now?
So lost :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony diagnosis?

2nd photo

o

3rd photo

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 20:02

I have the same problems with some of my peonies, esp. those in the shade. I read from previous posts that the powdery mildew will not kill your plants. Just cut them off to about an inch above the soil and dispose of these diseased parts in the trash. Their appearance seems to coincide with peonies going dormant anyway so it is not necessary to spray. Also, spraying with fungicide will not work if the signs of disease already appear, They will be fine next spring.

o

I agree with kousa. Once they've stopped growing for the year it's a good idea to cut back on the watering if you can, peonies are fairly low water plants once established. Definitely get rid of the mildewed parts, don't let them stand over-winter and they'll be as pretty as ever next spring!

o

I had the same problem with my peonies this year as well! I cut them back to just above the ground last week and tonight I transplanted them to a different location that gets full sun instead of the partially shaded area they were in. I'm not sure what the variety is but they're a bright pink color and were here when we moved in.

I think the mildew has been a big problem this year though due to cooler temps and a rainy summer (southwest Ohio). Nearly every plant I have that's susceptible to it has suffered.

o

Duplicate post - ignore.

This post was edited by NKUSigEp on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 8:56

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here