Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
misleading pictures?

Posted by bemidjigreen z3 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 20:40

HI All--I've been shopping for some new peonies recently. Since most of the nurseries show only the flower, I've been searching the web for additional photos of the cultivars I'd like.

What I've noticed is that these pictures vary A LOT from each other from site to site--not only in color but the form of the flower. Even common cultivars like edulis superba look really different from site to site.
Here it is at A&D nursery:

And here it is at Van Bourgondien

I was wondering if anyone knows why this is---is it mislabeling? Do the blooms shape and color vary that much as they age? Do they vary alot in form on a single plant? Are there strains--so that the flower form from one vendor would look different from one purchased from another?

Thanks! Carolyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: misleading pictures?

A lot of time the difference is the age of the flower. Some fade faster than others. Color register is another problem. Plants with a blue tint such as lavenders and bluish mauves do not photograph well. Peonies do have different flowers on the same plant. If you have one that makes a main bud with side buds the side buds do not match the main bud by the time they open.

Check out Carsten's website for differences in different peonies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carsten Burkhart

o

I agree with maifleur and only want to add that in your sample one picture is in full sun while the other is in the shade. I try not to take pictures of flowers in cases where the camera uses its flash, as it washes out the color. Al

o

I think the difference is not that huge, these two picture is from different angel, as for the color, you might notice the color setting or balance of the camera.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here