Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I buy from J&P?

Posted by eaj09 8b Coastal VA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 21:00

After doing some quick research, I see that the tree peonies are much pricier than a bush peony. Jackson & Perkinds is offering Shimo Nishiki tree form for $25. Tempting, but I see from another discussion thread that these cheaper tree peonies are generally smaller and less than 3 years old. Is it your general opinion that I should skip these types and stick with the pricier vendors? I don't know much about peonies (my forte is roses).

I've ordered many peonies from Gilbert H Wild, but they only offer bush types.

Also, how much sun does a peony really need? A rose bush needs 6-8 hours (a lot!); does a peony need that much?

thank you!
EAJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I buy from J&P?

If you do you will probably get a small plant for that price. Since you are a beginner at peonies you can either buy a lower priced plant to experiment with or a higher priced plant that if you kill it you will kick yourself. Call arround to some of your area nurseries to see if any have tree peonies available. Find an inexpensive one that you like the picture of and plant it. By the time it blooms you will know if you like the trees or not and you can save for a even bigger plant of Shimonishiki. You may find the name spelled as one word or two.

The reason for the higher price is most tp's that are imported must be under three years old. A larger plant has been maintained for additional time and expense.

o

What is that old saw; One has either time or money, seldom both at the same time.

J&P is fine if you have the time. They only sell Japanese tree Peonies which do better for me in the Midwest. I am not sure about VA. Those I have bought from J&P have been fine.

Be careful of the tree peonies shipped direct from China. It is much better to have someone grow them a few years for you as they usually do not ship until the ground is frozen solid. You are further south YMMV.

I think Cricket Hill was selling 2 year old babies this year also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Young plants

o

Have you tried ebay? Sometimes there are tree peonies on auction.

o

SHIMINI SHIKI IS ONE OF THE SLOWEST VARIETIES TO BLOOM YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT UNTILL IT IS 6 YEARS OLD FUJI MUSUMI WILL BLOOM USUALLY AT 2YEARS OLD THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN VARIETIES

o

Hi,

If you are Leesburg area, you can come and visit our plants in bloom in April. We will have several available, all are over 4 years old and in bloom.

Best,

L.T.
www.chinesetreepeony.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here