Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery Mildew this late in the season: cut or treat?

Posted by emcd124 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 21:14

I just went to my side garden today to find one of my peony completely covered in powdery white. From googling around it looks like powdery mildew. I've seen there are various things you can use to forestall, maybe even treat.

My bigger question is this: these are peony that usually get mowed down before winter anyway, so this late in the season, does it make sense to mess around with trying to spray treat the heavily infected plant, or just cut down the stalks, treat the stumps, bag the leaves and solarize them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery Mildew this late in the season: cut or treat?

If it is already the middle of September, I would suggest just cutting down if they are herbaceous peonies. If they are Itoh peonies, just cut off the leaves, and throw them away.

Powdery mildew is pretty common, and only occurs late in the season so it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here