Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are my peonies planted too shallow?

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 21:16

I have two peonies which were purchased at the same time from a local nursery in mid-June. One is Francis Ortegot and the other is Sarah Bernhardt. I live on the border of zones 4/5. Being a little nervous about having them planted too deeply, I left some of the root part exposed on the surface. I have lots and lots of mulch I can use over the winter. Will several inches of mulch (and maybe some tree boughs) protect my peonies, or do I need to add some dirt? Also, the SB I planted fairly soon after purchase, but the FO stayed in the pot it came in and I just put in the ground today. The plant looks healthy but the root part (rhizome?) was very light and part of it broke easily in my hands. It reminded me of a rhizome that had been dried out. The rhizome was clearly visible on the surface of the pot that housed it before I planted it, so it wasn't completely covered by dirt. I would think this would have helped decrease its chances of having issues. Is it supposed to feel that way? I'm including some photos of both plants so you can see what they look like as well as the rhizome (or tuber, I actually forget which type of root the peony has!) at the surface of the soil.

Until 1.5 years ago we lived in a climate that peonies difficult, if not impossible. They are very favorite flower now! There were 3 already in the garden of our house, and I purchased 3 more this year (the third may not make it--I think I mangled the eyes). I hope to have even more in the future as they are so amazingly beautiful!

Francis Ortegot planted today:
Francis Ortegot
Photobucket

Sarah Bernhardt
Sarah Bernhardt

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are my peonies planted too shallow?

I think they look quite good, especially for this time of the year. I can't really tell where there is any root part exposed at the surface. Might you mean the red eye that is in the first pic? If so, I think it is fine. A lot of the eyes on mine are showing above ground, now that I have them trimmed back. Since you are in a colder zone, you might consider a small amount of mulch over them, maybe 1".

Sue

o
RE: Are my peonies planted too shallow?

Thank you, chemocurl, for responding! If you look at the red eye in the first pic (which I hadn't even noticed, believe it or not) you'll see to the above left of it a dark hole. That is on the exposed root part. The problem is the mulch is black, which makes it hard to see where the mulch ends and root begins. All the green shoots are on an exposed root thing that rises above the black mulch.

Thanks for the help. I feel better now about the peonies! We'll see if my mangled third purchase makes with any flowers next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here