Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over wintering Peony tree

Posted by gardenbear1 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 21:16

Is there a special way I should protect my tree over the winter or just let it be, I'm in New England zone 5a and would hate to see it die because of some thing I did or didn't do to keep is safe.

Bear

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over wintering Peony tree

Try putting a bunch of straw around it, then tarping it over with an overwintering blanket. There are also plastic tarps that come in all sizes on eBay. Tree peonies should be hardy until zone 6, but sometimes it helps to protect them for the first couple years.

o

Never had any issues despite -15 to -20(F) every winter. Mine are unprotected. The largest is now 4'x5'. I always get a bit worried b/c they break bud very early in spring but the emerging foliage has been ok to 20F. Tree peonies with P. lutea (yellow shades) are a comfortable zone 5b. Most of the others with P. suffruticosa are comfortable to 5a or 4b.

o

Thanks for all the help, I will mulch around them, I did find out the peony grower is in the same zone as I'm in, so it should do well over the winter.

Bear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here