Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2009 tree peony seeds

Posted by daveinohio_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 21:30

Does anyone want to trade tp seeds?
Rian: do you still want seeds?
Surprisingly, most crosses produced many seeds, while most open-pollinated blooms produced nothing: perhaps tps are more self-infertile than previously thought; perhaps the cool-wet weather during bloom season was a factor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2009 tree peony seeds

• Posted by rian 7va (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 22:50

Dave, I sent you an email.

It might be interesting to know which tree peonies are more likely to produce seeds. I think I read somewhere (here?) that High Noon doesn't produce viable seeds. Is that right? My next door neighbor has one on the border between our two gardens and neither of us has ever seen a seed.

o

No experience with High Noon, but some plants don't produce self-pollinated hips: nature's way of preventing in=breeding. But they may produce viable pollen, or seed when pollinated by another variety. So maybe you should try crossing HN next year.

o

• Posted by peonyman Zone 5, Lawrence, Ks (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 2:49

I have noted that there are two tree peonies that seed like there is no tomorrow. The first is Paeonia osti, aka Feng Dan Bai, aka Phoenix White. The carpels will be full of seeds with perhaps 30 or more seeds produced by each flower. It should be noted that this tree peony is generally not propagated by grafting like others. They are considered to be true from seed and the seeds are reliable to germinate and grow. There is variation within the species and you will see differences between plants. A really interesting aspect of this plant is the smell of the roots when you try to relocate the plant. The smell is very strong; reminds me of the medicinal smell of a hospital. While the roots have been used for medicinal purposes for centurys the only medicinal quality they carry is the smell.

The other seed producer is Paeonia rocki. Almost every plant I have seen produce abundant seeds from every bloom. Again, there will be 30-50 seeds from every flower. I have not had much experience with the germination of these seeds.

Most of my Japanese tree peonies produce lots of seed however it seems to me that some plants seem to volunteer more readily than others. I get a lot of seedlings from Kokamon.

Leon

o

Does anyone have P. rocki seeds that they would be willing to part with?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here