Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizbest1

Another Peony Source?

lizbest1
10 years ago

Found a reference to Chateau CharMarron Peony Gardens and just had to take a look at the site. They have some really nice peonies for a very good price, both herbaceous ($19-25) and trees ($40-45). Couldn't find anything here except a couple of references as a peony source on the west coast. Emailed the company (peonies4u@aol.com) and the owner responded right away and very positively, will place an order tomorrow and will post pics here when the roots arrive. Wish I'd found this site earlier, they have several I ordered from other places with much better prices, ex Joker for $19. Several from my next year's list were here, also for $19. Had some really pretty trees, too, don't know what size would be sent though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chateau CharMarron Peony Gardens

This post was edited by LizinElizabeth on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 8:09

Comments (19)

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Wow, that is great! What did you order? Can you let me know if the roots look good? They have a nice selection of rockii peonies too. I think I may place an order with them next year. I just don't have the space ready for them now. Karen

• pwin
    10 years ago

That was a company I mentioned that sold beautiful rockii peonies. They hadn't responded to my email, though. However, you inspired me to try again and I did receive a response. (This post has been edited because it didn't sound the way I intended the first time around.)

This post was edited by pwin on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 13:51

• jackie_o
    10 years ago

I just posted about them! I received my order yesterday and it's very nice. I hope you're as happy with your order!
    I got Kinkaku (always wanted that one) but I'm lusting over the green tree peonies Dou Lu and Lu Xiang Qiu!

• pwin
    10 years ago

The greens are gorgeous, jackie_o.

Did you post pics of your order?

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Can I see a picture of your tree peonies, Jackie? They said on the website that they send 2 year old trees and I just wonder what they look like.

• jackie_o
    10 years ago

I'll try to post some pics this afternoon!

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jackie_o, I looked for your post but couldn't find anything!! Did you add pictures? I'd love to see the tree peonies you got, too!

Kousa, I ordered Eden's Perfume, Martha Bullock, Mrs James Kelway, Mrs Frank Beach, Officianalis Mutabilis Plena, Pink Cuddles and Sweet Rewards. I had Eden's Perfume on my list for next year because I'd read it smelled so good. The others just had such pretty pictures I couldn't resist!

Pwin, did you put in an order? I'd like to see pictures of what you get! You should post the pics of the ones you got from Boreal Farms, those were wonderful...

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Jackie_O, I see your post now! Glad to see Chateau CharMarron's customer service and products seem to be as nice as the website! Makes me very glad I put in an order.

• pwin
    10 years ago

Liz, Chateau CharMarron doesn't ship internationally. :( However, she has given me information on where I might be able to get the ones I wanted. It will have to be next year as I've spent enough on peonies this year. And I absolutely wanted the Mutabilis Plena, and Frank Beach, but Beach I can get here. I haven't found anyone who sells the Officinalis. :/

Oh, and I'll do that with the pics. I'll post them on Kousa's thread about fall orders.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got my package from Chateau CharMarron today, didn't have time to do more than open the box and look at the top couple of roots. The ones I saw had more eyes than most growers (except Fina this year!) but the roots themselves were fairly dark, a bit odd looking, but might just be because of where they were grown. I'll soak them for a while before planting tomorrow after work. I'll also post pics of them before planting.

Pwin, the Mutabilis Plena root was weird looking, a mix of pieces that looked like a normal herbaceous and parts that looked like a fernleaf root. Noticed one of the fernleaf looking bits broke off, I'll plant that one with my other bits and pieces in a large heavy pot to overwinter. Might not get anything at all from any of them but why not give it a shot?

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Liz, can you show us some pictures of the roots that you received from Charmarron if you have not already planted them? Thanks, Karen

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, got the Chateau CharMarron and Birchwood Farms orders in/photographed and planted! Here's the first 2 from CCM, Martha Bulloch and Mrs James Kelway. Don't know if you can tell but Martha Bulloch has around 10 eyes.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also from CCM, Pink Cuddles and Eden's Perfume. Eden's Perfume was huge, think it had 12 eyes. Pink Cuddles was larger than most I've received from other growers this season with 6 eyes.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sweet Rewards and Mrs Frank Beach, also from CCM. These were the closest in this shipment to average size! Not a single root had less than 4 eyes.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Of. Mutabilis Plena, 5 eyes, last one from CCM

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Birchwood Farms sent some really nice divisions, too. Pink Monarch was truly ginormous with over 20 eyes. Pink Glow had 5.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one, Topeka Coral and Springfield. Springfield also was much larger than typical divisions. Will ABSOLUTELY order from both places again!

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot, Liz. They are much bigger roots and fresher looking than other vendors. Boy, I am so tempted to buy some more peonies especially the fragrant ones that I have been considering. They also have a lot of fresh feeder roots on them which you rarely see on roots from others.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I soaked all of them in warm water for almost an hour before I took the pics, it certainly livened them up, then planted them right after. Never soaked any bareroots before but saw the tip on the Fina website. It makes them look pretty, anyway, whether it helps in any other way or not!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath