Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How fast do herbaceous peonies grow?

Posted by stevelau1911 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 1:23

I am potting up some regular herbaceous peonies, all with plenty of eyes and mass. Does anyone know how fast these tubers grow?

For example, how much will a 1 pound peony weigh after 1 season of growth?

I want to make sure that I'm not under-potting these peonies and potentially getting them root bound on their first year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How fast do herbaceous peonies grow?

Hi Steve, from my experience the vast majority of herbaceous peonies grow as fast as the Itohs but there are a few that grow much slower. From what I've seen, if you have a herbaceous root that has a woody part and 1 or 2 yam looking feeder roots it will at least double in size, weight and number of feeder roots in a year, sometimes a bit more than that. I'd say a 1-2 eye division that is fast growing would need to go in a 2 gallon pot to make sure it won't run out of space. A 3-5 eye division with a couple of feeder roots would need to go in a 3-5 gallon one.

What variety is your herbaceous? Do you know if it's a fast or slow grower?

o

I have no idea because I have a huge variety of them so I might have fast and slow growers. If they double up in size, that shouldn't be a problem just yet.

I planted them ensuring that their is at least 4-5X more soil mass than the tuber mass. Anyways thanks for the info.

o

For me the minimum pot size for a new division is 3 gallon. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here