Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

Peonies in pots?

Whitelacey
9 years ago

Has anyone had success with growing peonies in pots? The garden where my peonies are located has become increasingly shady over the years. (The former owner planted a Prunus directly in front of the peonies.) They now receive only an hour or two of sun a day-not nearly enough.

I would like to move them but I have no sunny spot except for my deck. Has anyone tried to contain those monsterous root systems in pots and been successful in getting blooms?

Linda

Comments (4)

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

I asked Carol Adelman about putting them in pots and she recommended not to because they freeze/thaw/repeat. She said it would kill the root unless you can store it somewhere to control that process. We're a zone 5, verging on 4B so quite a bit colder and Colorado goes through some bad freeze/thaw cycles every winter, you might not be as bad. I've seen posts from people further south that raise them in pots with no problem.
    Mrs. Adelman did suggest I use something the size of a halved wine barrel if I did decide to try pots.
    Hopefully someone also in zone 6 will respond with their experience.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought about the exposure to the elements if they were potted. If we have another winter like last year, I am sure they would all die.

I have eight of them so that would be a huge amount of room with wine barrels. I just don't have anywhere else for them so it's a dilemma.

Linda

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Do you have a spot where they get direct spring sun before the trees leave out? They do fine and bloom well as long as the leaves of the trees do not shade them while they are growing in the spring. If they are shaded after they bloom, they may develop powdery mildew. When that happens, you just need to cut them down to about 3 inches and discard those parts. I have seen someone near me grows the peonies in such an area and have very good success.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are late bloomers and by the time they bloom the Prunus is in full leaf. I've never had PM at this house which is interesting given how much shade there is.

Linda

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio