Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweety2002_gw

Differences in Types of Peonies

Sweety2002
9 years ago

Hey all!!!! :)

Well, it's been a while since I've been here but since my last visit, I've gotten all of my peonies in the mail and they have been planted. That was actually about a couple of weeks ago when we were having "summer" type weather. ;) Anyway, I have about 10 or 11 of them now. :)

I have been looking online for peonies that I could order from a Canadian supplier and to my surprise, I've found a few. Also to my surprise, they have a lot of different varieties as well!!! I didn't realize there was so many different strains!!

Now here's my question. I noticed that there are different kinds like ITOH, Herbaceous, and Tree. What is the difference between the ITOH and Herbaceous?? Obviously, the tree type would be a tree, correct??

Thank you so very much in advance for your response. :)

Comments (9)

• graycrna4u
    9 years ago

Sweety you are correct. There are 3 types. Herbaceous (the traditional type you see everywhere), Itoh (sometimes also called intersectional) which is a cross or hybrid between herbaceous and tree peonies; and tree peonies (which are actually a shrub and not tree) which actually have wooden stems. The advantage of Itoh and tree peonies is they have much sturdier stems and carry their blooms without drooping.They also get much larger and can have 50+ blooms on a mature plant. Of course the Itohs and the tree peonies are more expensive and harder to find. The Itoh has the best growth habits of both the herbaceous and the tree peony. They are generally around 3 to 4 feet wide and tall and you cut them back in the ball. The tree peony is usually the same size but depending on variety can get to 6 feet in height and have 100+ blooms in a mature plant. The tree peony is only pruned for shape and takes longer to establish but the wait is well worth time. Hope this helps clarify.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I also want to add that within the herbaceous class, there are subclasses of which the most common are the lactifloras, the hybrids, and the species. Most old fashioned peonies are lactifloras which are the common red, pink, and white doubles. Because of the limited color choices, the weak stems, and short blooming season of the lactifloras, some hybridizers bred the lactifloras with the species in order to get a wider color range, stronger stems, different forms, and extended blooming season. Some examples of the hybrids are Red Charm, Cytherea, Coral Charm, Nova ect.. Species peonies are those that grow in the wild in their native lands. Some species examples are the p. obvata, p. peregrine, p. mlokosdewitschii, and p. tenufolia. If you want a wider selection and extended season, it is nice to look into these hybrid peonies. Species peonies are very hard to grow. These only do well if the growing environment is closely matched with their native environments. Any deviations may lead to plant stress or death.

Good luck and enjoy growing the peonies.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

So Sweetie, which Canadian growers are you looking at? I ordered from Parkland this year and was very happy with the roots. Also ordered several Itohs from Select Plus, they have varieties not carried anywhere else. All except Strawberry Crème Brulee were HUGE. Suggest if you order from them you get the 3 gallon size rather than the 3-5 eye division, they're easily big enough to divide before planting, and there was on a $10 difference or so.

• Sweety2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW, thank you for the replies!!!! I believe I just got the herbaceous varieties. I was looking at some ITOH peonies and I can't believe the price on some of them!!! One of them was priced at $250 for ONE!!!!!!! It was gorgeous though, I have to give it that. ;)

Liz.......I was mainly looking at peonygarden.com for peonies. I didn't order from there as I had just found it and it would have been too late to order from there, receive the order, and plant it. I did order from both Veseys and Brecks and I was pleased with the roots that I got from them.

I will definitely look at Parkland and Select Plus as well. I am interested to know how your Strawberry Creme Brulee turns out as it sounds so wonderful. :)

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Thanks, Sweety, I'm hoping for blooms at least from the larger roots from Select Plus next year but nothing is ever sure for that first spring! I'll certainly post pics if they do.

• Sweety2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh great!!! :) I'll definitely want to see those pics if anything pops up for you. :) I'm brand new to peonies so I'm looking for new nice smelling varieties that I can add to my garden. :)

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

I've just started paying attention to fragrance on peonies this last year, Sweety! It's weird--I choose other perennials and some annuals for their smell but never peonies! I guess I was just so taken with their beauty that I didn't even notice if they smelled nice....

• Normelly
    9 years ago

Tree peonies are not hardy in Zone 2A. I have ordered several times from D'Aoust Peonies (based outside of Montreal), and have been very happy.

• Heather Macdonald
    9 years ago

Hi, a good source for Itoh peonies in Canada is Osiris in Quebec. Large healthy plants and they cost less than other suppliers. I sent a photo of my favorite , Singing In THe Rain, to Canadian Peony society and they chose it as peony of the year...the pic was taken in my garden in its 2nd year...

Heather