Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

temporary storage of peony roots and other transplanting issues

Mary4b
19 years ago

Hi there...

I'm finally getting the old peonies out of the yard where they have been full of weeds that I just couldn't remove.

We transplanted some roots immediately but I'm in the process of creating another bed right now and need to "hold" some of them...should I keep them in a bucket of water for a few days, or keep them in a box with some soil shoveled over them...what's the easiest and best way to keep them "unplanted" for about 1 week? I'm in Wisconsin, weather is cool and rainy this coming week.

Also, regarding the transplanting. I was able to get some HUGE roots, up to 12" deep and other much smaller ones. Unfortunately, the number of eyes was very uneven per root...some have more than 6 but many smaller ones only have ONE eye. SHould I plant a couple of smaller ones together, or will this only create competition and slower growth.

Likewise, where the roots are just huge, is it better to cut part off or should we dig the hole bigger and plant all that is there, no matter how huge?

Finally, I know about not planting the eyes too deep...I plan to put about 3" or partially composted bark mulch on this bed. Should I then leave the eyes peaking above the soil and include the mulch as part of the "depth" equasion?

Thank you!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider