Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankc_gw

Another seed question

frankc
13 years ago

I was given a number of seed pods of a tree peony.They probably dont come true either?

fRANK

Comments (11)

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Probably not but they could produce a better tp or just an average one. Plant and see what you get. The pride of peony parenthood is pointing at a plant and stating that it is yours is worth the wait.

Check earlier postings for suggestions on planting your seed.

• daveinohio_2007
    13 years ago

Mix seeds into a half cup of damp peat. Put mixture into baggie and hold at about 60 deg F. After a month or two, seeds will produce roots.

• frankc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tnx for response, dave,will do your procedure and see what happens,only 1 seed came out. tree peony "renkaku" F

• daveinohio_2007
    13 years ago

Frank,
    Good luck with your seed. When it roots, put in a small pot in a baggie and put in frig; after a month or two, topgrowth will appear.

• frankc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Will try the frig trick. tnx f

• birdinthepalm
    13 years ago

I guess if temperature is so critical to germination right away, I'd guess that's why my attempts failed but where can you find a place indoors or even outside in most places with the desired 60 degree temperatures, or in a room with the AC set very high in summer or turning down your thermostat to that in winter? Not a criticism since I may have overlooked some obvious answer to my question?

• daveinohio_2007
    13 years ago

It might have been better to say room temp than 60 deg F.
    In late fall, our basement is about 60 deg, and this is where the seeds root; so far, about 60% of our tp seeds have rooted.

• birdinthepalm
    13 years ago

Thanks for the awnser, so it dosn't have to be just 60 degrees and I'm back to square one as to why mine have never rooted etc the first year when they're harvested and placed in potting mix for me at least. and other web sources say the same thing is possible as well, though the standard is the double dormancy rule otherwise, and mine seem to prefer that and often self seed around the garden and comed at untimed intervals , since I don't know what year those seeds actually dropped.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Depending on the tree and other peony heritage some take more than one year. Some will that at least two before surfacing and longer to produce a true leaf that stays above ground.

Other problems could be the medium dried out, was too wet, at a critical time.

The best response I have ever had was using vermiculite. However since nothing had come up I had placed in the garden garbage to be incorporated where needed the next year. When I started to place in sun to help serilize I found all these seeds with dried out roots sticking out of them. So even if you think things are not working out wait and keep looking, mother nature does things in her own time. And tries to teach us patience.

• daveinohio_2007
    13 years ago

Bird,
    As soon as pods split open (early Sep here), seeds need to be collected into damp peat; if seeds dry out, they will not root that fall (or ever).

• frankc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In another words,keep trying to germinate the seed for over a year. fRANK