Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Woody hollow roots with nice eyes-big long nice roots-no eyes

Whew, I just dug (I know it is rather late) a peony that had not been disturbed in about 10 years.

I dug it out carefully, and hosed off all the clay soil.

What I'm left with is a huge clump, with a bunch of knarled woody hollow roots on the top that have nice eyes budded (they are planted quite shallow and always eye up about now)

The lower part is a mass of long nice looking healthy roots, but I can't follow them up through the woody mass to see if any have eyes.

I was digging these for a trade for something quite nice (rose bush), and would like to send 'the best', though none of it really looks 'good' to an untrained peony eye. I have not traded with this member b4, so I don't want to disappoint her.

What should I send? What would do better? I have read that roots that have no eyes will indeed live, survive, and bloom, though the bloom will be delayed.

I might add, that this red peony has always bloomed well for me, in spite of the way the top of it looks.

If we were trading, what would you most like to receive of what I have here? Eyed up hollow woody ones, or long healthy no eye ones, or a combo of the 2?

Of the ones pictured here there are at least 15 big eyes, and several smaller ones. They are all on the woody mostly (if not all) growth. Would you say that they would be a nice plant next season, if planted and properly cared for now?

{{gwi:1145101}}

and here is the mass that is left.

{{gwi:1145103}}

Help please...and thank you

Sue

Comments (7)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Wow! All of those look quite nice and should survive to make nice plants. Peonies like to remain in one place, however, so I wouldn't expect large plants next year, and probably no blooms for at least another year. Quite a healthy root stock you've got there. I'm curious though, as to why you dug the entire ball up. I think I would have just used a shovel to cut/dig off a section or two (unless you plan to give away the entire lot).

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I had been wanting to move them (and 4 others for about 4 years or so, so that is why I dug the whole thing. I didn't really see any way of just digging off a clump, knowing how bad the top looked.

Would 4 eyed (multiple eyes per piece) up woody pieces and 4 nice healty roots make for a nice start? do you think? Should I send more? Maybe the fairest trade would be a flate rate box with a 'bunch' of each.
    I know when you buy a potted red one at a big box store, that it doesn't have much foliage, thus not many eyes, and they aren't cheap.

Original Author
    17 years ago

The roots that have no eyes, should they be planted standing up, or laying down about 1-2 inches below the soil surface?

Thanks again.

• Pieonear
    17 years ago

Sue, I did the same thing. Man what a job. Can you believe all that was under the bush? I thought I was digging up a monster of some kind! LOL

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

If in doubt ask what the trader would prefer.

Sometimes when the roots are really woody what used to be known as a keyhole saw is handy. The hollow part is where the root has turned woody as you stated. This is what happens to plants that have not been divided for a long time. In nurseries the plants are divided every 2-4 years the larger pieces sold and the smaller replanted. In 2-4 years they are dug and divided again. This is why you see nice plump roots when you purchase a peony.

• valentina
    17 years ago

I believe it is good that you dug out this old clump. I think the plant will be happier now, divided. But I wouldn't plant that big clump as it is. I would cut it in at least 3-4 pieces.
    For the trade, I would send maybe two of those roots. (from the left) Maybe the second one from the top row and the third one from the bottom row.

Valentina

Original Author
    17 years ago

It surprisingly was a very happy plant...lots of blooms in spite of it looking so bad on top....but I guess it can/will be even better in time.

I have since broken it 'all' apart, and will plant somel of the eyed up ugly hollow 'woody' ones and some of the healthy roots all in one spot (hole) and hope to see maybe a bloom or too in 2007.

I am a forever optimist, and although I don't usually do things the best way or at the best time, have surprisingly good luck with most things.

Thank you all for your help.

Sue