Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyefd

Countryman Peony Farm

judyefd
18 years ago

I just learned, sadly, that Bill Countryman of Countryman Peony Farm in Northfield, VT passed away this summer.

Assuming that his wife and son Chris will continue to keep the business open, if you ever have an opportunity to be in central Vermont...it's a MUST GO in June thru mid-July.

It is situated up a high hill - with awesome views of mountains overlooking fields and fields and fields and fields of peonies! I've been there twice and was fortunate enough both times to have Chris take me around the fields in a golf cart. He gave complete reviews and his opinions of any peony that I had an interest in (and many others!) and stopped as many times as I wanted to take a sniff. Did a lot of fragrance evaluating!

There is such a love and knowledge of peonies there - such time and care, never mind the quantity! I think they have over 1000 cultivars, but only about 100 are available to buy each year.

I could only afford to buy one peony, and Chris kept showing me more to add to my list to consider....just when I'd narrowed it down to 5, he said he had one more to show me - Vivid Rose! I fell in love instantly! That, of course, is the one I ordered. (It even had 3 blooms the first Spring!)

It's a wonderful, lovingly run family business. May Bill rest in peace. My sympathy to the family.

Here's a description from Perry's Perennial Pages (VT gardens)

http://pss.uvm.edu/ppp/vpdgli.html

Countryman Peony Farm, Northfield (802) 485-8421; FAX (802) 485-9421; peonies@together.net (818 Winch Hill Road, Northfield, VT 0563) Open daily, 10-dusk, June 1-July 10. Visitors always welcome. One of the worldÂs largest herbaceous peony collections, over 1000 varieties; species, hybrids, singles, Japanese, semi doubles and doubles; early, midseason and late bloomers. Choose varieties for cut flower, garden accent or landscape use. Many antique types as well as the latest varieties on display. Peonies sold anytime but will only be delivered in Sept. - Oct. (the proper planting time). Orders may be shipped or picked up at the farm. Phone or write for information or directions.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting