Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To mow or not to mow, peonies and daylilies - when?

Posted by kwsparrow z5GrtLks (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 15:43

it's almost frost time here in MI and my husband wants to mow down rows of well-established peonies and daylilies. Should this be done? .....will it help or hurt?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To mow or not to mow, peonies and daylilies - when?

Won't hurt.

Not tree peonies though ;)

o
RE: To mow or not to mow, peonies and daylilies - when?

My husband's Mother had several peonies and when she couldn't garden anymore, my Father in Law forgot they were there and mowed them repeatedly for several years. It wasn't till he was himself ill and couldn't mow the lawn that we discovered the peonies in the spring when they came up and bloomed! It may have set them back, but it sure didn't kill them! I dug one up for my own yard before the house was sold. It has sat in a pot with weeds and little soil all summer and still looks fine. These things are dang hard to kill once they have established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here