Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Planted Peony sending up Shoots!

Posted by houdinii KS (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 07 at 19:24

What do I do...3 weeks ago I planted "Kansas" as a bareroot that I ordered from gilberthwild, and it has sent up 2 shoots that are now about 2 inches above the ground. It looks exactly like what you would expect to see in the "spring." Should I cut down the shoots or just let it do its thing until the 1st hard frost and then cut down the growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Planted Peony sending up Shoots!

I would also like to know what to do in that instance. I ordered 4 bareroot peonies & planted them 4 days ago. We are having record heat and Oct. 7 it's supposed to reach near 90 degrees!!!!! I'm afraid mine will start growing, too.

o

I would not do anything other than being sure the roots are not dry. The peony will survive fluctuations in the weather. Al

o

Thanks, I asked Jim Waddick today at the HPS sale in Kansas City, and he recommended I leave it alone. So...that's what I'll do. I bought some peonies at the sale that I didn't really expect to get...but my impulses got the better of me. Tree Peonies: Homei $20, Seidai $22. Herbaceous: Lollipop Lies $5, Paul Wild $8, Pink Parfait $8, Angel Cheeks $15. I think the herbaceous ones were from Klehm's Song Sparrow. Now I just need to find places in the yard for them...and buy lots more dirt. I hope the tree peonies can weather full sun on the west of my house. The tree peonies are maybe 10" tall, so I don't expect much from them for awhile...but I'll be patient.

Earlier this year I planted the following herbaceous: Louis Van Houtte, Raspb Sundae, Solange, Dr. Alex Fleming, Kansas, Red Charm, and Mons Jul Elie. I already have Sorbet and Edulis Superba...so I'm really looking forward to next spring and the years to come.

Last but not least, Waddick recommends planting peonies with the eyes 1" deep, and then as the soil settles you can fill in above it with 1 more inch for the final depth of 2"...at least in the Kansas area he recommends that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here