Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to mulch newly transplanted peonies

Posted by fampoula 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 21:41

I am in Zone 5, Chicago area. I transplanted some peonies two weeks ago and a couple more last weekend. The news says we are supposed to get our first frost this week. I read somewhere not to mulch too soon--to wait until the first time the ground freezes.

Two questions: 1) is the first frost the same as the first time the ground freezes? 2) with the brand new (one week old) transplants, should I go ahead and mulch before the frost? They really haven't had any time to grow roots yet. I was planning to mulch with straw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to mulch newly transplanted peonies

I'm in zone 5 (Colorado) and mulch when I plant in the fall regardless of when the first heavy frost is expected. I think it's probably more important to get the mulch moved away when you start seeing growth in the spring, you should be able to put your straw down whenever you have the time.

o

Fampoula, I"m also in Chicago and didn't know that frost was coming last week and didn't get a chance to put my peonies in the ground. I still have like 3-4 of them sitting in the 3 gal pots above ground. These are not bareroots, they are plants. I getting to it tomorrow. I just hope that it's not too late. Crossing my fingers.

o

I read on at least a couple of the grower's websites that they routinely plant well into Nov/Dec in zones 4 and 5, I think both of you will be fine. Even in pots they should be good without cover down into the high twenties/low thirties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here