Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laisan_gw

Moved my 7 year old Karl Rosenfeld, yikes!

Laisan
18 years ago

After waiting for it to produce more than 6 flowers for each of the past 4 years and following the advice from this forum, I did the deed. I dug it up and moved it to an even sunnier spot and made sure the eyes were less than 2 inches below the soil/surface. The odd thing when I started to dig (thinking that the roots may be massive) was that I got this one almost solid mass, shaped like the one gallon square pot it came in seven years ago. Is this plant doomed to always be a low producer with its constrained root system?

The original bed was double dug and amended with cow manure. I know I took the plastic pot off of the plant when first planted (in spring). My friend was standing there, telling me not to do it, to keep it in it's pot and wait until fall to plant it. So I was really careful not to disturb the roots when I took it out of the pot and planted it.

The new bed was double dug last year, had compost added, and grew some weeds before being prepped for Karl. Any insight on his future? I'm a little impatient with him and could use the real estate for another peony if he isn't going to put out.

Thanks in advance,

Laisan

Comments (3)