Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry_wyomingpa

Help, I have roots, now what?

gerry_wyomingpa
17 years ago

I harvested lots of tree peony seed this year, stored them in moist coco coir and now they are beginning to sprout roots. I know that they now need to be in the cold, would it be possible to pot them up and let them outside for the winter, or would it be better to pot them up and refrigerate them, which is next to impossible?

There are at least 4 with roots showing, but I am not sure how many others there are, as I have not opened the container and peeked about.

TIA

Gerry

Comments (10)

• valentina
    17 years ago

Gerry, can't you leave them in the same container and put them in the refrigerator? And pot them up after 2-3 months...

Valentina

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

Gerry,

Go ahead and pot up. You can put out for winter. I would put them on the north side of your house with a covering of light material, such as leaves or loose straw. If you have a cold frame put the potted seeds in it. You are really lucky most tp seeds would not sprout until next year. Where did you store them and at what approximate temperature to get this rapid of growth. Peonies appear to sprout more rapidly after the first one starts. Think of a petri dish with mold. Sprouting begins at one point and spreads from their. If you have enough seeds you might try a test with a small group by putting some in a container with the smallest sprout and the rest as is. I think you will find the ones with the sprout germinate quicker than the rest. Now if I could find a sprout in mine. I do not have patience.

Valentina,

If Gerry left them in the same container the roots would twist with the other roots and could break when they were divided. It is better to separate now when the roots are small than in 2-3 months.

• valentina
    17 years ago

Good to know. Thank you for the information.
    I've never tried my hand with seeds, but I plan to.

(I didn't think these roots would grow once they were in the refrigerator.)

Valentina

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will pot them up then, and I will make a cold frame, I am going to wrap a table I have in the garden with plastic and leave the top open, it has slats about 1/2 inch apart.

As to how I stored them: All I did was harvest them, and then seal them in a baggie with slightly moist coco coir. Room temps since, although I did move them to a cooler room in the last month or so, maybe the slight temp change made them "think" it was more fall like and time to send out that root. I would have planted them in the ground, but I know I would never remember to water them to keep moist.

I like the petri dish anology, that does help, but in this case, I have what must be 75 of the critters in the one bag!

Off to get more potting soil, thought I was done for the year.

Thanks for the advice.

Gerry

• karen64
    17 years ago

Gerry; How long ago did you put the seeds in the bag? I harvested middle of October and varied slightly my method, from something I read. I put each seed in its own pot of moist peat soil, covered the whole pot with a baggie and twist tie and slipped them under my bed, out of the way. The instructions say to bring them into the fridge in January for 3 months, and then put outside in Spring. I have not thought to check on them but you seem to have quick results! karen

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen,

I did this in September I think, maybe late August even. I really did not expect anything, so this is a major treat!

Keep us updated on your progress also.

Gerry

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

Normally you would not see roots until next year then leaves the next. Gerry's quick roots are very early.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maifleur,

What can I actually expect to get next year, do they grow quickly, or are they going to grow slow. I am not expecting a large plant, I assume they will take a few years to really put on growth, but will I just get one leaf, or a small plant?

Gerry

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

Normally you only see a leaf or two but the way your seeds are going you might even see a flower. The rate of growth actually depends on the parentage. You can sometimes have a first flower in three years but generally the plants will be five or so years old. There really is not a good reference as to the rate of growth from a seed that I have found. The whole process seems to be more of a trial and error process. There is a lady, Jackie J., that provided some two year olds that had multiple leaves but only one bud stem. When ever possible I try to get her rejects. One of them has the most beautiful reddish purple leaves this year.

• karen64
    16 years ago

I was about to give up hope and today I noticed I have 2 baby peony growing out of the 12 containers so far! Has anyone else had luck with their peony from seeeds? I took my pots out of the fridge about a month ago and placed outside. karen

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor