Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies in South Carolina

Posted by embee4488 9/N. Jax,FL. (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 8, 06 at 9:31

I am moving from Florida to Columbia, SC. I have always dreamed of growing peonies, but have heard that they do not do well up there. The zone is 8, high humidity and hot summers.

Does anyone grown them in that climate? If so, which ones do well, or where can I go to get information?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies in South Carolina

Do a search for peonies for the south and there are alot of responses to read. For the most part stay with early bloomers and if you go with a mid-bloomer, stay with the singles. I have had success with 'Bowl of Beauty', 'Sarah Bernhardt', 'Carol' and 'Festiva Maxima'

o
RE: Peonies in South Carolina

i have several peonies and they do very well for me. i am about 1 1/2 hrs north of columbia. i would recommend a spot that offers afternoon shade. don't plant too deep and work that red clay before planting. add compost and more compost. good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here