Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houdinii

Free Shipping - Songsparrow.com

houdinii
15 years ago

Free Shipping on bare-root herbaceous varieties until Thanksgiving 2008 or until they can't ship anymore. Just thought I'd let y'all know. I'm tempted to get something, but haven't yet.

Comments (9)

• peonyman
    15 years ago

Houdini,

Thanks for the alert. I noticed this last month and probably should have announced it. I ordered from them however I only ordered tree peonies. Their shipping on tree peonies and other potted plants isn't free but the prices of their tree peonies can't be beat by anyone. Their prices are low enough that even with the cost of the shipping the total price is less than most other places for just bareroot tree peonies.

Also their tree peonies can be planted just about any time of the year since they are growing in pots.

With my new aquisitions I am really looking forward to next spring. It looks like some of the grafts that I made last fall may try to bloom next spring.

• peonyman
    15 years ago

We only have about 6 weeks before Songsparrow may post their listing for the new year on their website. Â As I recall last time it was about the first week of the year.

Can you feel the excitment that is in the air right now? Â I am hoping that a couple of particular Daphnis tree peonies are included this year.

• amulet
    15 years ago

I too should have mentioned this. I got this offer in my email, and took them up on it. They always send the best roots, in my opinion.

I am also looking forward to seeing what Song Sparrow will offer next year, as well as what Hollingsworth will offer. I think both of their online catalogs come out very early in the year.

• houdinii
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Song Sparrow does send good roots, I agree...now if only they could have the same prices as Gilbert H Wild, or vice versa, if Gilbert could have the same quality as Song Sparrow. I ordered from Gilbert last fall, and I think maybe some of them will bloom next spring...so I paid a lower price, but will have to be more patient than had I ordered from Song Sparrow.

I really only have about 4 herbaceous on my wish list.
    Gay Paree and White Cap, because I like the contrast within their blooms.

Probably a coral...such as Coral Sunset, I don't think I'm partial to all the stamens in Coral Charm, though I've never seen it in person. I just enjoy the Flickr photo of Coral Sunset (if you haven't seen it, google it [coral sunset peony]). No wonder it's a pricier peony.

And then, I just need a single white peony to complement Burma Ruby and Lollipop Lies...I don't know which one, yet.

• houdinii
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you do search for the coral sunset peony picture that I mentioned, either search for it on Flickr or include flickr in your search terms [coral sunset peony flickr].

I know there have been other threads about which coral peony is the "best", and it's not my intention to start that discussion again...I simply like the photo I've seen of coral sunset. Someday, I will have a coral.

• amulet
    15 years ago

What you say about Gilbert H Wilds is true. They are also a good source. They have small roots for a small price. However they don't seem to have many of the newer varieties that I like.

You should definitely get a coral. I have three different ones that have bloomed for me (Coral Charm, Coral N' Gold, and Pink Hawaiian Coral), and I have been amazed each year with their color. It just blows you away. I like all of them.

I ordered Coral Sunset this year, but I'm not sure if it will bloom this spring. I am eager to see it bloom as well.

Is this the picture you are talking about on Flickr? That is nice. Maybe you should make someday today if they are not sold out. The sooner you get it in the ground the sooner it will bloom!

Only 4 peonies on your wish list? I think I have about 40!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr Coral Sunset

• houdinii
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, that's the picture. Only about 4 on the current wish list because I'm running out of room as it is. But I don't think I'll stay forever at my current residence, so maybe a bigger yard down the road will allow me to expand my varieties. (I'm only 30, so hopefully I have a long time ahead of me to gradually grow new ones...it's fun to have something to look forward to).

• aulani
    15 years ago

houdinii, tried to send you an e-mail to thank you for telling me about the ti plants at Walmart, but the mail came back. Thought I'd get you a message this way. Anyway, thanks a lot.

• greenbug
    15 years ago

Hi,

Anyone have any experience with Blooming Bulb peony bareroots?
    I looked in Lowes and Walmart and no plans for any bare roots so far.
    So I was thinking of ordering from Blooming Bulbs.
    They have a sale price of $5.84 and free shipping.
    Anna