Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmacgarden

favorite peonies?

Heather Macdonald
11 years ago

I order new peonies after seeing them in gardens or on recomendation rom growers so i like to hear others favorites.

Mine (in my garden) are Cora Louise, Bartzella,Going Bananas(all Itohs), Pink Hawaiian Coral, Starlight (earliest) and tree peony Kokuru Nishiki

Here's a pic of Cora Louise & Going Bananas

Heather

Comments (14)

• Heather Macdonald
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, I guess the only post 1 pic at a time , that was Going Bananas, here's Cora Louise

• lila888
    11 years ago

I started adding peonies in my garden last year. I ordered some from Adelman's and bought some from local nurseries. I have a couple of Itohs, Kopper Kettle and Yumi (previously known as Yellow Doodle Dandy), a lot of herbaceous and a few tree peonies. My favorites are Yumi, Buckeye Belle and Duchesse de Nemours.

Your Going Bananas and Cora Louise are very pretty. Thank you for starting this thread and hope others will share pics of their favorite peonies also.

Yumi

• Normelly
    11 years ago

Three of my favourites are Cora Lousie, Kamata Fuji (tree) and Do Tell. Do Tell is very floriferous, has a great scent and a long bloom period, and the blooms, as well as being lovely, are interesting because they are all a bit different. Kamata Fuji is young, and I have only had one bloom so far, so I can't comment on the plant habit, but that one bloom is my favourite.

• Normelly
    11 years ago

Kamata Fuji

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

Just jumping in and adding my two cents. I can not even begin to actually name my favorite. I really love Red Charm and Liza Lundy. I added sevearl this year and also can not wait to see them bloom. Here is a picture of a NOID red one that has been around for awhile and divided a few times. Love the Bomb types, but also love the single pale yellows. Will add a few more including a peony that was also given to me, do not know its name either.

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

Here is the picture of Eliza Lundy, sorry for the spelling.

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

A single pale yellow given to me several years ago. Any suggestions?

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

How can I have forgotten "Green Halo".

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

I have more species that I can count, mostly tree peonies and I find beauty in having all different colors and forms.

What I find even more rewarding is when tree peonies break out of dormancy, and unfold their reddish leaves, especially when they are grown from seed. They are about the first plants that come up in the spring, and having lots of seedlings of various ages can be very beautiful.

• BlueBirdPeony
    11 years ago

Hi guys. New here. I have been wondering if these are peonies at all. Bought a new house when it was covered in snow so I didn't plant these (obviously). What do you think? Either way, they're beautiful!

• BlueBirdPeony
    11 years ago

Also, just for fun, here is a picture of some that I actually know are peonies!

• maifleur01
    11 years ago

The first picture the blooming plants are tulips. The nonblooming appear to be scillia

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Your picture of the NOID looks quite similar to Red Charm, but you say that you have Red Charm, so I assume there are differences?

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

Mantis: Sorry for the delay in posting. I will see if I can find a picture of some Red Charms in my yard. Need to go back thru some sd cards. The large one I posted as NOID from my mother seems to have much larger blooms even though I have them planted in the front yard and soil is the same and sun and water requirements are equal. Will post in a little while.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional