Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninajc_gw

New peony plantings under attack!! What is it??

ninajc
18 years ago

I received three Sarah Bernhardt roots on sale about three weeks ago and promptly planted them according to instruction in what will be a hospitable spot. I went to look at the bed yesterday and did a cartoonish leap backward (a la the first Wimpy of Popeye fame, with my little hat flying off my head too) when I saw little tunnels around the three roots and NO PLACE ELSE in the bed. I found a half eaten daffodil bulb on the surface of the ground but that is a planting from a prior owner and I have less personal feeling about it - not to mention less $$ invested.

What is interested in my new peonies and how do I thwart him, her, it?? I'm not a killer, I'm a persuader - but I'd use a strong repellent, that's for sure.

Right now, I'm standing watch at the window until I get some information. My husband is amused at least, as he always is by my love/hate relationship with Mother N.

Thanks for your help!

ninajc

Comments (11)

• ego45
    18 years ago

Curious chipmunks have a habit to dig tunnels in a freshly disturbed soil.
    Less likely that your peonies roots have been damaged as nobody, even deers will eat them.

• ninajc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you!

I love chipmunks almost more than peonies. And I don't care how many deer there are, they're all Bambi to me. So I guess I'll be able to peacefully co-exist one more time.

Gotta get back to the compost page. You can tell I'm a newbie.

Rgds,

ninajc

• oldroser
    18 years ago

If you used either bonemeal or fish emulsion you could be attracting all kinds of critters. Neither peonies or daffodils are usually bothered by excavators - I'd just water heavily and let things settle.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

I cannot use bonemeal,bloodmeal or fish emulsion or it will be dug up the first night. Al

• ninajc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello fellow posters - it's now March 3rd and my question now, is.....when will I see the peonies emerge?

Thanks to the last two posters re: fish emulsion, etc. I thin k the only thing I'm ever going to use is comopost.

Anyway, I hope I see evidence soon that the peonies are still there.

Rgds,

Nina

• ego45
    18 years ago

In a month or so, depending on a weather.

• jerseywendy
    18 years ago

Hi Nina,

I also planted 2 peonies last fall, and this morning, after carefully removing some of the mulch, I noticed they were beginning to "wake up". I can see some tiny growth coming up and needless to say, I'm VERY excited :)

---
    Wendy
    ---

• Patrick888
    18 years ago

"When" also depends a little on other factors such as the variety and the sun exposure. I have some that are barely breaking the soil surface...and a few that are about 8" tall already!

Patrick

• ninajc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My three are Sarah Bernhardt planted in mostly sunny location, and I THINK I'm finally seeing a bit of growth break through on one. Despite all of the kind reassurances to my original post, I'm still afraid that something "got" them the night after I planted them. Whether ate them or destroyed them, I can't imagine, so I'm still waiting......

Thanks to all - I'm trying to remain excited, too.

Ninajc

• diannp
    18 years ago

I was out today cleaning off iris beds and was poking around my peonies, and I have several that are seriously thinking of poking their little eyes out for a look. My fernleaf is up about 1/2 inch and looking around. ;) Soon, folks, soon, they will all be up and looking around. :)

Diann
    IA Z5a

• ninajc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

NinaJC (original poster) here again.

Well, of my three Bernhardt roots planted last October, only two sprouted small leaves and then promptly died. I bought two Karl Rosenfelds already 18" tall and with very nice looing buds on them at our ocal garden center sale yesterday, and couldnt wait to plant them instead. When I began to dig a hole, I found the original Bernhardt roots and they were black, crumbly, and had little white bugs on them. Now, I am terrified to put my new peonies in the same place in the flower bed for fear that these bugs will infest the new ones. What do you all think? Are well established plants not as susceptible to these types of pests? Can I put Safer's insecticidal soap in the holes, would that hurt the roots of the new peonies when I plant them?

I am so frustrated! But, I did get a full refund from the catalogue which financed on of the new Rosenfelds.

Help!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner