Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kressnut

storing peonies

kressnut
16 years ago

I live in Ontario, OR where it generaly always gets below freezing. We are going to move to another location here in Ontario in late Feb or March. My question is can I dig up peonie's now while the ground is thawed & store them until we move? If so how would you prepare them for storing?

Thanks

Comments (2)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

(presently) on down the page here there is a similar question.

The roots need to be prevented from drying out during storage. I would store them the same as you would Dahlia. Keep them in a container of damp medium such as sawdust, sand or vermiculite in a cool dark location.
    was the answer provided by member calistoga.

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, and hope the answer is not too late to help you.

Sue

• jeannie7
    16 years ago

Over in Ontario, actually up here in Ontario.....I'm surprised there's another one besides the one we founded in California....might it be an off-branch.

Anyway, like Sue says, I'd get it up and into a container and whether you use the fast draining medium or a potting soil/potting mix, they should keep well in your garage if the container doesn't freeze. You can take steps to prevent that too if there's a chance of below freezing temps.

I wouldn't rush though putting them into the ground in February/March if the ground is at a stage of frost hanging on. Better to wait until all chance of frost is out of the ground and then give some rich compost to the new home.

Remember though, you have a choice...hopefully they don't matter much....but you must either put the plants into the soil at their previous mark....or no deeper than 2" the topmost buds (nodes). This previous mark is dependent on the plants' not having had any difficulty blooming.

Now ...having done that, having put them into their new home...you should not be disappointed next season's bloom doesn't happen. That's what peony does. Very unsual bloom happens after a move in the season of or the following season if moved in the fall/winter.

OK, there's an Ontario, Oregon.....
    I, myself live in Beaverton, .....Ontario...Canada.

Your Beaverton is a heckofa lot bigger. You have that shoe company there don't you.

I always look for other places named after other places.
    There's a halifax in Ga, Ky, Ma, N.C., Pa, Va.

You have a Toronto in Ohio, South Dakota, Missouri, and Kansas. An Ottawa in Ohio, Mi, Ky,Il, Mn, Ok, Pa, W.Va, Wisc.....boy those indians sure got around.

i guess there's lots of places with lots of names.
    I think the people in the States, they run out of names and just call their places by other places in other States.

Anyway, good luck with the move.