Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerme_gw

Peonyman

gardenerme
15 years ago

Please check out the thread where you posted the pics for me. Anyone else that can advise on tree peony, please see "is this TP OK? thread. Thanks to all who respond!

Comments (9)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

When I saw the picture I was shocked to see much of the root area out of the soil. The pot is also much too small for the plant. I would repot into a pot at least 3 times larger and plant deep enough that the soil it at least up to the first green growth. Al

• gardenerme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, no problem, grateful for the advice. Can you tell from the admittedly blurry pics if this is a grafted peony or not?

15 years ago

In my opinion it is not grafted. I have never seen a graft with such a short scion. And the fact that you got it on ebay points to it not being from a nursery although it could be. Most nurseries sell grafted tree peonies because they are faster to produce and the plant is more easily guaranteed to be the variety ordered. I am also making the assumption that you did not cut it back. Al

• gardenerme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, the main branch (dead center) died last year, so I had to cut it off. Now I only have what appears to be leaf buds coming out of two places in the base. I think I have really screwed up this poor thing. I wanted as much info as possible so I can try to correct my mistakes and get a healthy TP. Thanks so much for your support and great info. You and Saint Al are awesome!

15 years ago

Well you may have a herbaceous peony now instead of a tree peony. To bloom a herbaceous peony may require more chilling than you have at your location. Tree peonies are grafted onto herbaceous roots and if your graft died you are left with the root. The reason tree peonies are planted deep is to prevent stem production from the root while encourageing latent buds on the scion to grow. Check with your county extension for the average chilling hours where you live. Usually about 400 hours is suggested for reliable blooming with herbaceous peonies. Even if you think your tree peony is dead, you should not cut it back, wait a year to be sure it is REALLY dead. Al

• peonyman
    15 years ago

Gardenerme,

I don't think that plant is grafted. The photo clearly shows many roots coming directly off the tree peony. It certainly appears that the tree peony was growing on its own roots. There could be a herbaceous nurse root deeper down but I doubt it with the size of the roots that I can see.

You have a bunch of side buds on the plant and any of those side buds will still be the same tree peony. Certainly repot the plant in a large pot. Get the soil level up just above the roots. I still recommend a much larger pot.

When you remove the plant from your pot you can examine the root to see if there is a herbaceous nurse root under there. Like I said I don't think there will be but if it is it appears that there are enough tree peony roots that you should be able to completely remove the herbaceous root but try to not damage any of the roots coming directly off the tree peony. The Herbaceous root will be enlarged and darker than the tree peony roots.

I doubt that the loss of the terminal bud will set the tree peony back much. The size of the pot is holding the gowth of the plant back much more than anything else.

Leon

• gardenerme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome guys! I will do as you all suggest and post a pic in spring if it blooms! Thanks to all who commented!

15 years ago

I believe Leon is correct. Side buds on the stem are indicative of a tree peony, one with a very short stem. For you in a warm winter zone that is good news. Even if it does not bloom next year post a picture so we can see how it is doing. Al

• gardenerme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK guys, thanks a lot!