Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

I fail to see the beauty in this one--'bric a brac'

Maybe it has to grow on you. What do you think?

A peony just isn't 'supposed' to look like that, IMHO.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: 'BRIC A BRAC'

Comments (12)

• tehegemon
    17 years ago

I think it's quite unusual and far too exotic for my garden. I will say that given a choice between this and "Daisy Coronet" ~ I think Daisy Coronet is downright ugly. Perhaps I would need to see it in person to better appreciate it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daisy Coronet

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

I agree with both of you. The first one reminds me of a parrot tulip. The 2nd one reminds me of any ugly passion flower. I like the old fashioned type peonies -- that is what a peony should look like (to me anyway).

• jackie_o
    17 years ago

Not to be contrary but I like Bric a Brac, at least that picture. I don't have it myself.
    I like anything that blends colors that way almost like a watercolor effect. It's good that there are so many varieties because everybody seems to like something different.
    Daisy Coronet looks like somebody photographed it just before the last petals fell off doesn't it? Look at the huge seedpods in the center. I wonder what it looks like when it starts to bloom?

• tehegemon
    17 years ago

I definitely think Bric A Brac has its place, although as I previously mentioned ~ not in my garden. My plantings are fairly pedestrian in the average sense. I'm new to gardening and planted what I thought to be sure bets for my amateur level of inexperience and limited budget. If anything fails, I won't regret any financial loss. As I learn more about gardening and discover what works for me, I expect to replace some plants with others and will happily share plants with neighbors who opt to try their hand at gardening. I also expect my perception about plants to change as I gain more gardening experience.

Looking at a portion of a plant on its own does little for me ~ I haven't developed an "eye" for how it would work in a garden setting amongst other plants. I need inspirational imagery to help me envision how something like Bric A Brac or Daisy Coronet will look in the larger scheme. I'm not attracted to either on their own.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And Daisy Coronet is $23 at that site.

That has to be the ugliest ever!

• lemecdutex
    17 years ago

It just "shows to go ya" that there are all kinds of tastes! I suppose if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Bric-a-brac, since I personally like Parrot Tulips (but on tulips, not so fond of a peony being that way).

I suppose if I grew nothing, or little but peonies, I'd be tempted by any unusual peony. Yet, for me, peonies are part of a bigger picture, and they play their role for me with the more standard shapes, the unusual shapes of those two don't fit in how I enjoy peonies, especially as we're just within the margins of an acceptable peony-growing climate out here about 45 minutes north of San Francisco.

--Ron

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Well, I have to say between the two I'd take bric-a-brac. Actually I rather like it. The cup shaped blooms such as Coral Charm or Cytherea have come to be my favorites though.

• lemecdutex
    17 years ago

I think I know what you mean about those "cup-shaped" blooms. I find myself being especially charmed by that in roses, like in Reine Victoria, Mme Pierre Oger (light pink sport of RV), Margo Koster and its myriad sports, Raubritter and the moss rose Baron de Wassenaer. They have their own special charm that is different than typical roses, or even many of the oldest varieties of roses, yet still are clearly roses. These don't lose the effect of being a rose as much as that "bric-a-brac" and especially "Daisy Coronet" lose the effect of being peonies.

--Ron

• tehegemon
    17 years ago

Ron, very eloquently stated ~ if I were a bee, I would live in and around your garden ~ your flowers are absolutely spectacular!!!

• lemecdutex
    17 years ago

What a nice thing to say! Thank you tehegemon. Some bees must have thought like you this past Spring, we had an enormous swarm of bees fly over the garden (first time I've ever seen a bee swarm!), and they ended up moving into a hole on the side of one of our huge Monterey Cypress trees. I've always liked bees in a garden, they tell me that things are "right" out there. Similar feeling I get from the chickens I can now let wander freely through the garden, when the rooster crows, you no nothing terrible is going on out there!

--Ron

• Evan
    17 years ago

Here's another ugly one! It sort of looks like it has the mange or something.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crazy Daisy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

edb2n,

Good (I mean 'bad') one! It might be pretty if it had some of the wildness clipped off of it. You can be sure it will not find a home at my place when there are soooo many beautiful ones to be collected.

Sue