Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what should I do?

Posted by themayorswife Zone 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 08 at 15:10

I apologize if this is a duplicate post - I posted a week ago, but I can't find it on the forum! Here is my dilemma: we are transitioning from one house to another. My current garden holds several peonies we planted 4 years ago, which have special meaning to us. They flowered the first year & have grown & become more beautiful each year. Now, we are building a new house which won't be ready till next Sept or Oct. Our current house isn't sold, so I haven't moved the plants. I have no good, safe place to plant them at the new house, and don't want to move them numerous times. Can I take them up now & keep them in my refrigerator indefinitely? Doing so now would mean they will miss an entire growing season next year! Or do I (sadly) leave them here for the next owner to enjoy? In the end, it's more important to me that the plants live and thrive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what should I do?

Do you have any friends that can babysit them in their garden until your garden is ready? That is what I did with many of my plants when I moved and the new house wasn't ready. I also had a large amount of loam dumped in a remote part of the new yard where I heeled in a lot of plants.

o

Welcome to Garden Web and The Peony Forum.

I found your post. It was in the middle of a thread.

Can I overwinter my peony in the fridge?

In the future you can find your posts on a forum by putting your member name in the search box found just below the list of threads on page 1. It oftentimes will take 24 hours though for your post to be cycled through the system and found via the search.

Also...whenever you start a post you will see Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you. with a check box in front of it. It's handy to have the replies come into your email, as opposed to having to keep a constant check on the thread.

Sue

o

Sue, thanks for the hints on how to find my previous posts. I just want to point out, though, that the one you found was NOT me!
Anyway, I have thought about putting the plants in my next door neighbor's garden. She is a great gardener, and would take good care of them. My biggest concern though is if I move them several times over the next year, will I stunt their growth?
thanks for any add'l advice

o

In my opinion, if you move peony at the right time, that might hurt that much. If you carefully move them with soil at the roots, that might be better.
I have a suggestion, not sure if that is okay to you. I know some of the gardeners in my country have tree peony planted in a big plastic pot,with some little holes on the wall, and bury the pot in the soil. The environment is near the same with planting in the soil. When they need to sell the tree peony, it is very convenient to dig the pot out with little hurt to the plant. The other point is this method might limit the root's length and get a better lateral root system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here