Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

How late is too late to plant bare roots?

mxk3 z5b_MI
15 years ago

Hi all, hope you don't mind me popping in from the perennials forum...

I ordered a bare-root fernleaf at a great price, but not sure if I should plant in the ground as soon as I get it or pot it up and over-winter in the garage when the temps dip too low. What do you guys advise?

Comments (12)

• tanoota

I didn't even think there could be a "too late" as long as the ground is still pliable!!
    Now, I'm worried too!

I just did as Sue described for 6 new bare root peonies.

I dearly pray that they will be okay and bloom like mad next season!!

• tanoota

I didn't even think there could be a "too late" as long as the ground is still pliable!!
    Now, I'm worried too!

I just did as Sue described for 6 new bare root peonies.

I dearly pray that they will be okay and bloom like mad next season!!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Things always do best for me in the ground as opposed to pots, regardless of the time of the year.

I would plant it, taking care to not plant it too deeply, and then mulch it well.

Possibly someone else will weigh in on this. What I described above is just what I would do, but someone else may suggest otherwise.

Sue

• hankeat
    15 years ago

I found this on Piviones Riviere's website.

WHAT IS THE BEST PERIOD TO PLANT ?
    How do you plant a peony? To obtain the best results in peony cultivation, pay very special attention to the planting process.

*Planting bare roots should be done between September and mid-March.
    *It is better to plant peonies in the autumn so that the root system can grow before the leaves come out.
    *Planting can be done during the winter period even with frost during the night as long as it disappears during the daytime.
    *After March, due to the growing of leaves and vegetation, it is not recommended to plant bare root peonies.
    *If you want to plant later, we offer cultivated plants in containers that you can buy either from our nursery or at the flower shows we go to.

*Tip : In case of frost when you receive our plants, place the parcel in a cool area  a cellar or a garage - and open the parcel. The individually packed plants can remain for a month in their packaging without any harm.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, guys. I did plant them two days after I got them, which was about the second week in November. Glad I did, too - a few days after I planted them the weather really turned, it has been very cold for this time of year, and on-and-off snowy (read: who cares about the plants, I'm the one who doesn't want to be digging in the dirt when the snow is flying and it's in the low 20s). I did get a chance to finally mulch well over Thanksgiving, so my fernleaf roots should be nice and comfortable doing their thing underground until next spring. :0)

• peonyman
    15 years ago

mxk3,

I am glad you got them in the ground quickly. I would think they will do fine but you probably wont see much growth or bloom the first year.

Fernleaf peonies (Paeonia tenuifolia) are somewhat different from lactifloras in that they seem to do best when divided and replanted early. I try to get mine divided and back in the ground by the end of August. Fernleaf peonies go dormant early (for me usually late July) but they also begin to renew their root systems much earlier than lactifloras. If you wait until mid September they have already begun to put on feeder roots. They need a really advanced root system before winter because as soon as the spring warm up begins they bolt from the ground and bloom before they have much time to develop any more roots.

MXK3, which fernleaf did you get? Single? Double?

• happyday
    15 years ago

*Tip : In case of frost when you receive our plants, place the parcel in a cool area  a cellar or a garage - and open the parcel. The individually packed plants can remain for a month in their packaging without any harm.

Wouldn't this tip be meant for those in mild winter climates or those who receive plants in early spring? What does Piviones Riviere (or other nurseries) recommend if the buyer receives at fall frost ands lives in a climate where it will be 6 or 7 months rather than one month before the frost is all gone?

Mxk3, we got the same weather here and I just finished getting my peonies and iris taken care of too so I sympathize. Hope your fernleaf does well for you.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I'll admit I priced shopped the fernleafs, since I've never grown them and didn't want to pay top-dollar and then end up not liking the plant. So I bought (4) roots of the plain ol' "regular" fernleafs from Dutch Gardens, the price was very good, plus I got an additional discount using a coupon code. The roots actually were very nice-sized; one was a little disappointing, but the other three very good looking. I planted them all in the same hole - hey, I want a bigger plant right off the bat, what can I say.

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

Depending on size of your hole and how close you planted them together you may find that the roots become so twisted together that they self prune the roots in a couple of years. Next fall dig up and spread apart. You can have a nice clump by planting about a foot apart rather than sickly plants.

The top dollar plants do not look anything like what the cheapies. The true top dollar ones have a almost dill leaf foliage. I have both single and double fernleaf. The single is next to impossible to divid because their was one eye on a stem connected a circle of roots. Perhaps if I had a micro saw I could have divided this fall but I covered back up and left as is.

I do purchase or receive various fernleafs just to see the difference in texture and color of flower. They range from very course to finely cut but none with the true fern leaf of the expensive ones.

• peonyman
    15 years ago

Perhaps you are aware that Piviones Riviere is located in France. I am not sure what part of France they are located but parts of France is very mediteranian and mild. The northern part of the country up at higher elevations in the Alps has a mean temperature of only 28f for January. That is just barely below freezing and still mild when compared to most peony growing areas of the USA.

Leon

• hankeat
    15 years ago

happyday, I received the tree peony that I ordered from Piviones Riviere last Saturday (December). I planted it in a 10 ltr container and wrapped the container to protect it from frost (I don't have ground to grow it). I'm lazy to buy big container and soil during winter. I live in Berlin, Germany. In fact it should be in zone 7a, but in this few years there're hardly frost due to global warming. The lowest temperature at night was -4C and it's always frost free during day time.
    I believe if the frost is more than one month you still can plant it in a container and put the container outside, but I'm not sure, whether it works or not.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure