Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting peonies near sprinklers

Posted by bonfleur 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 15:14

My husband purchased 5 peony plants but the only location I can plant them where they will get adequate sun is the south east facing side of our house. If I plant them in front of our house...directly faces south...they will receive no shade and the summer heat gets very intense. The west side is used for my husband's vegetable garden and next to the house gets very little sunshine. The north side (backyard) gets no sun. The problem is, the builders installed the sprinkler system about 2 1/2 to 3 feet away from the house, about where I need to plant the peonies. We have heavy clay soil so we're going to have to add improvements. But, even with the improved soil, will they be able to withstand the tri-weekly soaking from the sprinklers when they are turned back on next spring AND will their root system harm the water lines they'll be sitting on top of? Thank you for any advice offered!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting peonies near sprinklers

If you have clay soil, then I would recommend growing the peonies in a slightly raised mound with plenty of compost, and manure to raise it about 4 inches before planting the peonies so they drain well.

o

On the north side of the house with sprinklers running three times a week sounds like a very poor place to plant peony. Would likely become a mildew growing site, with non blooming peonies. Al

o

With plenty of sun---they'll love it. Close to a sprinkler head....couldn't be the worse place unless you wish to kill them the first spring /summer.

It comes down to, if you wish to have your peonies flower then choose a spot where they receive adequate sun, adequate water, and adequate care---this means you have to prop them up when the flowering gets heavy.
If you cant do this.....then you have chosen the wrong plant.

Life is not a bowl of cherries....give them what they need....or look for something else.

o

I agree with Steve and Al, I'd plant them in the full sun portion of your south facing yard. Peonies will wilt during the hottest days of summer but will recover as soon as the sun goes down. I'm also zone 5 and have the vast majority of my peonies in full sun, they do great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here