lesfleursjolies

25% OFF sale at Adelman.

KarenPA_6b
10 years ago

All peonies are 25% at Adelman Peonies.

Comments (22)

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I took advantage of their sale! Got a fernleaf hybrid, Friend, LaDonna, Lillian Wild, May Lilac, Paul M Wilde, Pink Parfait, Princess Margaret, Sonoma Amethyst, Tourangelle, Viking Full Moon and Watermelon Wine. Now I just need APP to send them during a non-blizzard like day so I can actually plant them.....

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also got the fernleaf hybrid, May lilac,Tourangelle, Lois, Dresden Pink, Red Red Rose, and Red Glory.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

I'm considering Julia Rose and Old Rose Dandy, but that $65 for shipping to Canada is pretty steep!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Although now that I'm shopping around, the sale prices actually kind of balance it out!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Done. Julia Rose and Old Rose Dandy. So excited!

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so excited for you and me, too. Hope you get blooms for your plants next spring.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

You too, kousa! You've got some gorgeous peonies there! The reds are to die for.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I am a sucker for semi-double reds. Rich layers of red contrast with a golden center of staminoides, who can resist? I received my roots today, and they are just super. This is the best collection of roots that I received from all of my purchases. The roots are big and have many big eyes. These bigs eyes promise a high probability of flowers next spring.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Check out the eyes on Red Glory.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Nice, Kousa! The reds are absolutely stunning. I got my order in the mail yesterday. It's supposed to be warm the rest of the week so I'm hoping I can plant this weekend. Haven't pulled out the roots, don't want to disturb them before planting day but will post pics when I do.
    Redwolfdoc, Julia Rose has been one I've really admired for a long time. Got it from Select Plus several years ago but it didn't survive, have another coming from Vermont Wildflower Farm this spring. Hope I can keep this one alive! Will you post pics of the roots you get from Adelmans? Hope you get some nice, large roots with lots of eyes to make the crazy shipping costs worth it!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

It took a little while, but my peonies arrived! They look amazing - Nice big roots with lots of eyes. Hooray! Even better, we're having a warm week, so I can put them in the ground right away!

Will you all post pics of the spring growth?

{{gwi:1145684}}
    {{gwi:1145685}}

Old Rose Dandy on the right has lots of eyes too - they're just turned away from the camera. :)

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

It took a little while, but my peonies arrived! They look amazing - Nice big roots with lots of eyes. Hooray! Even better, we're having a warm week, so I can put them in the ground right away!

Will you all post pics of your spring growth?

{{gwi:1145684}}
    {{gwi:1145685}}

Old Rose Dandy on the right has lots of eyes too - they're just mostly turned away from the camera. :)

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

LizinElizabeth, Julia Rose is the reason I became seriously interested in peonies. I've had it in the back of my mind to try them for a few years - I love big, bold flowers - but I never acted on it. Then I came across an image of Julia Rose and that was it! These, plus a Morning Lilac ITOH I got in September at a half price sale at a local nursery will be my first peonies ever.

Do you have a favourite? Kousa, do you have a favourite?

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those roots look just awesome, redwolf. You will definitely get some flowers from them next year. I haven't seen or grown enough itohs to have a favorite. Though I have 2 that I have been eyeing for awhile and hope to get them next year: Mikasa and Impossible Dream itohs. I love their colors and form. I have too many favorite herbaceous peonies to name. I am also into tree peonies as well as species peonies. I am a hopeless peony addict, as you can see. There is just no cure for me.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I'm with Kousa--the peony in bloom at the time I'm looking is my absolute favorite! I only have 3 Itoh's that have bloomed so far and my favorite of those is Strawberry Blonde. If you've seen Singing in the Rain SB is very similar to it's mature blooms--much more yellow from the start than Singing. I added quite a few Itohs this year so my favorite will probably change next spring....or maybe not depending on if any of the new ones bloom! I got my first fernleaf peonies this year also, think I'm looking forward most to seeing how those turn out. And as many peonies as I've acquired my list of "look fors" hasn't gotten much smaller!

I didn't get pics of my Adelman's order before planting, had to get them in the ground quickly over the weekend among other chores but the roots looked nice.

This post was edited by LizinElizabeth on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 20:54

• Nette10
    10 years ago

Anyone else in Canada got dinged with custom charges with their Adelman package? I think I may have but I don't remember. LOL - was there anything else I should worry about before I order? Thanks!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Nette10, I think it's just the cost of doing business with our southern neighbours. There's the relatively high cost of shipping large packages, plus a phytosanitary certificate that is necessary for live plants to cross the border - that's usually $20 to $30. All in all I'd say it doubled the cost for me. I did find it worth it though - similar plants at other nurseries were listed in the $80 to $120 range.

And Adelman's did send gorgeous, healthy-looking, big specimens.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Nette10, I think it's just the cost of doing business with our southern neighbours. There's the relatively high cost of shipping large packages, plus a phytosanitary certificate that is necessary for live plants to cross the border - that's usually $20 to $30. All in all I'd say it doubled the cost for me. I did find it worth it though - similar plants at other nurseries were listed in the $80 to $120 range.

And Adelman's did send gorgeous, healthy-looking, big specimens.

• Nette10
    10 years ago

Thank you Redwolf Doc - on top of the $65 - were you also charged additional during delivery at your door? I ordered just this past fall and I already forgot if I paid this or not. I ordered from several vendors.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

From Adelman's the $65 included all relevant charges; shipping plus phytosanitary certificate plus 'handling.' I double-checked my invoice just now to be sure.

On the other hand, I recently placed an order for roses from Rogue Valley Roses in Oregon. They charged $67 for shipping plus an additional $30 for 'international handling' and the ps certificate. All charges were made clear up front prior to me placing my order (I just emailed and told them what I wanted and asked about the total charges).

So I guess it varies by company. Of course, the Rogue Valley order was bigger than the Adelman's order, so it follows that the actual shipping would be more expensive.

I'm in Toronto, by the way - both Adelman's and Rogue Valley are in Oregon, so they're coming a long way.

• Nette10
    10 years ago

Thank you for doing extra digging for me (see
    what I did there? Lol)

I will order more now that things are on sale - let me know if you want more as I am in Toronto too!

Thanks again!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Nette, what a great idea! I don't think there's anything more I want to order at the moment (unless they still have Joanna Marlene - but it appears they don't), but I'm absolutely up for sharing in shipping costs in the future! What part of Toronto are you? I'm south-east (not far from the Beaches... "Upper Beaches" if you're a realtor! lol)