Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvahydrangea

Zone 10 and Peonies?

luvahydrangea
18 years ago

I have a good friend in California who loves peonies. Are there any varieties that would do well in her zone?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

Tree peonies require less chilling hours. Herbaceous peonies need about 400 hours. She can check with her county extension office for her local chilling hours. Al

• DianeKaryl
    18 years ago

Luv, it is my belief that southern climes have peony varieties that do well in zone 10....but don't quote me.

A better source of information is right at your front door, your local nursery. If they stock such a plant, then you can be assured that plant will grow in your locale.
    Nurseries do not make a habit of stocking plants that, when sold, they come back asking for refunds because the plant did not perform.

You might also go to a peony society about whether they grow in your California location and what varieties they suggest.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

Unfortunately Diane most nurseries in California do not sell peonies. Their reasoning is most growing information is written for the midwest where peonies are popular. If those directions are followed most gardeners will not be successful and return the plant to the nursery. There is one west coast peony nursery in Oregon, Caprice Farm Nursery, operated by Allan Rogers until his retirement.He wrote a book several years ago "Peonies". He is the only grower that looks at peonies from a west coast perspective. It is very discouraging to talk to retail nurseries in California about offering peonies to their customers. Almost 100% will tell you "They cannot be grown here and expext them to flower". Al

• lilleyl2005
    18 years ago

I found them in a nursery in Napa--that's where I picked mine up. It was pretty wimpy when I picked it up during the summer. I also picked up some rhizomes from Home Depot in Vallejo.

Lil

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

What area of California does she live in. Having lived there many years ago I am aware that if you mention you live in California it is assumed you live near LA or points south but California is a big state.

• fabiaoit
    18 years ago

Dear Luva,

Your friend can try to grow the Paeonia californica, that is a botanical species.
    I found these information about it
    "Native from Monterey to San Diego Co. (and on the nursery site). It will tolerate sun to part shade, little or no summer water. You need perfect drainage, a very green thumb, and luck with this one. I've seen it growing in clay, serpentine, and decomposed granite. Native under things for the most part, but you will some times see it in west or north facing outcrops. This plant confused people in Europe and the East coast because it has adapted to our climate by leafing out in Dec.-Jan. and going dec. in May. In other climates it has a tendency to come up in the snow. Deer do not seem to bother it, nor does anything else. It has swollen roots like a yam that will rot if you water it in the summer."

Please visit this web site, they have it:

www.laspilitas.com/plants/456.htm

Ciao

Fabio

• poilichu
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

abrarage: how is your peony now? I live in los angeles . I found this post and want to see how is your peony doing before I purchase peony plant

• graycrna4u
    8 years ago

Chateau Charmarron is a large herbaceous, itoh, and tree peony grower/saler in the San Jose area. Look it up. Those varieties definitely grow.

• yipla (Zone 10a border with 10b)
    8 years ago

I read an article about growing peonies in warm locations here:

http://hollingsworthpeonies.com/growing_peonies_in_the_deep_south_revisted

I just ordered several rhizomes to my Zone 10. I hope they grow =/ I love peonies, and I think the herbaceous kinds are more beautiful than the itohs. I'm crossing my fingers that I can make something work as described in this article.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Tree peonies can be grown in coastal Southern California (zone 10), but it is more difficult. choose the early-blooming peony varieties. In this climate they need to be planted in partial shade, and consistently watered in the Summer. The bud tips need to all be cut off in October to help the plant go into dormancy.

Itoh peonies are said to do much better than others here, possibly because they are very early blooming and have an extended blooming period.

• lizhuntersd
    7 years ago

Camellias do well here in San Diego. They are similar looking to peonies, but not as big. You won't be able to find peonies here at nurseries, but they have cut peonies at trader joes every may! Lol

• xuan_cells
    7 years ago

I just read that in the Bay Area (zone 9/10) you can put a pag of ice on top of your peonies once a week in December and early January to simulate the frost. Its already late January, but I'm interested in trying! https://www.google.com/amp/s/crickethillgarden.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/growing-peonies-in-usda-zones-8-and-9/amp/?client=safari

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

I've heard of people doing that but have never witnessed it myself. They only need 30-45 days of colder temps to set buds, start now and you should have time! Please report back and let us know if it worked! What type of peonies do you grow? Do you know the varieties?

• Joan Stevens
    6 years ago

Would love to hear from some of you who are in warmer climates and tried this out. I planted quite a few early blooming herbaceous peonies this year and am ready to dive into Itoh's as well but would love some guidance about my chances of success before I spend a lot of money!

• April Nava
    2 years ago

I live in zone 10b and i lave dahlias and that worked. Until last year when the peony bug bit me. So i pkanted three bare toots. One stuck around and is growing this year and I think i know why-i planted the peony root in a place where my tall dailias blocked it from the summer sun. The peony root looked desd but it was growing the whole time.

So yes they grow.

• April Nava
    2 years ago

Sorbet peony is easy to grow in any climate.and really stunning.

• Joan Stevens
    2 years ago

That's lovely. When I look it up it says zones 4-8 (like most of the herbaceous peonies). What zone are you growing in?

• magicxx
    2 months ago

Interested planing pheony in zone 10 as well because the local Costco is selling it, anybody know if the variety Costco selling will grow well in zone 10?

• Joan Stevens
    2 months ago

First you would have to know what variety Costco is selling! If it’s an itoh peony it might do okay. I’ve been trying the herbaceous peonies for years and results are disheartening.

• Gina Gomez
    15 days ago

Im in Zone 10 too - Huntington Beach CA. I bit on the costco Peonies today as Ive always wanted to try and grow them. I do not know what variety they are. I have yet to plant them as I want to see how one does in the partial sun in my patio amd the other full sun in the fromt yard. from what im reading, this is an experience.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH