Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Planting Time

Posted by lsecunda z5 IN (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 05 at 18:12

What is the best planting time in zone 5 for planing herbaceaous peonies? I had read that October is best but is it too late to plant this fall or should I wait till spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Planting Time

Plant 'em if ya got 'em. :) September through November are prime peony planting seasons.. ;)

Diann
IA Z5a

o

• Posted by PeonyMan Zone 5, 25 miles wes (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 3, 05 at 22:31

Fall planting of peonies is far superior to spring planting, I do some dividing and replanting as early as August 15th. Peonies can be planted up to the time that the ground freezes. Then it becomes physically impossible to open the ground to get the root planted.

I like to get peonies in earlier than that because the plant will begin to send out feeder roots and continue during warm periord throughout the winter and early spring and it will be ready and primed to blast stems out of the ground in the spring. A spring planted root does not have the time to get feeder roots out before the very early top growth begins to grow. With the lack of root support the plant will not flourish that first year. It will be very prone to damage from drought that first summer.

So, I am with Ticker on this on, Plant 'em if ya got 'em

Here is a link that might be useful: Website of the Heartland Peony Society

o

I just got couple of Peony bulbs when I was at a garden show last week.. Do I need to wait till last frost and plant them in April ? Or is it ok to plant them as soon as I can step out. I live in NJ and its still about 32 degrees(Farenheit) at this time. Also can I keep the bulbs in Fridge untill I plant them ?

o

Can you work your soil. If so plant. Some of the members put in large pots until fall. Your choice.

Do not expect flowers this year. You may be lucky to get one next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here