Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Have for postage-Double red roots only-no eyes

I can send a 1LB, possibly 2lb box to one person....priority with confirmation.

Please post here and send me an email, and either have email addy unblocked, or include it in your email.

I'll see if there is any interest here, for a bit, and then offer them up on the 'regular' plant exchange.

Sue

Comments (11)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Moving this down, since these are dug and I want them gone soon.

I'm posting at the Plant Exchange.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

Gardeners should not be discouraged by good healthy peony roots with no buds showing. Many times adventicius buds will break in the spring and the peony will soon catch up to those roots showing a bud or two when planted. Al

Original Author
    17 years ago

calistoga,

Thanks for posting that info.

I had thought they would 'move' over on the Plant Exchange, but there was no interest.

The offer for postage is still open, if anyone might be interested here.
    It really looks a lot more 'red' than this in person, especially beside some light pink ones.

Sue

• sissyz
    17 years ago

Is it too late for your peony?

Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes Sissy, it is too late, as I very carelessly dumped a bunch of roots in two different holes a couple of weeks ago, due to lack of time and energy. I think they may even be in 'layers' to a degree...and prolly not a very good thing...but just wanted to give them at least a chance of surviving.

I just looked up adventitious buds that Al referred to above, and here is something I found.

A remaining type of bud, ADVENTI-TIOUS (ad-ven-TISH-us), forms at any other location. Adventitious buds may form on the inter node of the stem, at the edge of a leaf or at the cut on a stem or root.

Hopefully I will see some life come spring.
    If interested, please email me sometime in early March, and if there is life apparent, I may be able to trade or send for sase...but it will just depend upon time, energy, and life getting in the way of gardening...but I would love to share them if all goes well.

Sue

• sissyz
    17 years ago

Sue,
    Thanks so much for getting back to me! Peonies seem to be one of those things I will never see bloom in my garden!
    My hubby was transferred every other year and I would be given peony plants and roots, but they don't bloom after being transplanted for a few years, so I never saw them bloom in my gardens!!
    One year, I saw a peony at Lowes with the bloom bud on it. I bought and planted it and waited. The next morning I went out to check on it and the little blossom bud was lying on the ground. I now live far away from there, but I would love to go see how it is doing!
    I will check on you in the spring, if you don't mind...
    Thanks, Sue!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

sissyz it is possible to transplant a peony and have bloom the first year. You need to plant a division of a blooming peony, not when it is blooming but during the dormant period. If you get a well rooted division, one with a large sweet potato type root and several fat buds and plant it with plenty of compost dug in and at the right depth, it will bloom the first year. Al

• sissyz
    17 years ago

Thank you, Al! I sure would like to see it!

• txcottagegarden
    17 years ago

I was fortunate enough to receive some of these Peony roots from Sue and they are now 6-12 inches tall.
    Yes.....they do sprout and are very healthy!!
    I am anxiously waiting to see gorgeous blooms from these "roots without eyes" their first year.
    THANK YOU SUE!
    Donna

Original Author
    17 years ago

Donna...

If I remember correctly, I sent some 'with' eyes...didn't eye?

I'm surprised they are up and that tall, considering how deeply the ground is frozen here.

Don't expect too much...I think you will be doing well to maybe get a bloom from them. You are such a new and excited peony grower that I would hate to see you disappointed.

Sue

• txcottagegarden
    17 years ago

Sue,

You indeed may have sent some with eyes as well as some without. As you well know after planting all those BB peonies I coudn't see straight.

I could never be disappointed as I am already very pleased to just see I planted them shallow enough and there is life coming up out of the ground. LOL
    We had just enough of a freeze to zap the peonies obviously. Our ground is not frozen at all as we have had some days in the 70's and everything is coming up thinking it is springtime!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner