Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diseased Peonies

Posted by tdvpnp suburb Phila (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 5, 05 at 18:29

My peonies have done very well for many years, but because of the summer drough( I think)they beacame diseased( I think white mildew) and died. Should I cut them, or just pull them out and wait until next year to see if they recover. They are in a shady area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diseased Peonies

Sounds like powdery mildew. The ones I have in part shade got Powdery mildew bad this year. I just cut mine back. They should recover just fine.

o
RE: Diseased Peonies

Did they really do well, I would be surprised if your planting your peony in ??? shade ?? has done well by them. Peony is definitely a full sun lover.

Of course, depending on other factors, the position of them in ? shade can contribute to their retaining dampness, which can often be the lead reason why mildew is rampant.

Mildew is a disease, treated like others, usually by a fungicide, but the soil also comes into play. Fungus spores can hide in the soil to infect the plant later when weather circumstances invite it.

If for no other reason I suggest you try to improve the drainage in the area of your peonies. Of course moving them to a sunny place can often solve the problem, but you would have to pay the price of the move by having them refuse to bloom for next season......and possibly even the season after that.

But possibly your shade is not all that shady, you probably get a good amount of mottled sunlight, enough to satisfy the plant's willingness to perform.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here